Friday, May 25, 2007

Well Rounded Knitters

Okay, first of all, everybody go read Franklin's Blog today. Well, because, a, that is an adorable niece he has, but moreso I redirect you for the second part of the post, regarding his 1,000 Knitters Project. The short version is that he is, at heart, an artist who works in the photographic medium, and he initially had this idea to photograph 1,000 of Chicago's gay men. Who, it turned out, were way too high maintenance, and so he said, wait, why not knitters? Apparently, many of us wrote in to his appeal for subjects and said, sure, as long as you don't mind that I'm fat, and he has some very wonderful and well-said commentary on that. Go. Read. Adore.

I will admit to being one of those, btw. Well, sort of. He made reference to several of his gay men who had cancelled at the last minute because they felt fat. Others, he noted, either felt that they were far too hot and should be paid, or just wanted to have sex with a photographer. I commented that I was entirely likely to be feeling fat given that, well, I am fat. However, I gave him my word that I would not get all entitled bitchy queen or try to have sex with him.

Beyond that...the bathmat is about two rows from finished! Maybe crocheting does actually go more quickly. Either way, I like the way it's turning out, and am actually quite glad I went the crochet route, even if I did initially choose it for its expediency - I think it looks better than it would've in garter stitch, which was my initial plan. Plus! While the girls and I were at Knitche the other night for Thursday night knitting, I bought the coolest toy I've gotten in a while: a lighted crochet hook. Much more manageable than those silly twelve foot long straight knitting needles by the same manufacturer. And it's of surprisingly good quality and utility for something that I suspect is mostly about novelty. So before I go to bed tonight, I will hook my last two rows in the dark (because I'm a dumbass and gave away my bedroom lamps already) and be able to see them. Pretty cool, huh? I'll try to post a pic or two shortly, after I get back to my camera, which is currently living with my folks, as Maggie and I will be doing for the next two weeks. After tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the big moving day! No, that's not true. It's the little moving day. It's sort of the first of three. I'll get into that tomorrow...meanwhile, I think that I will follow Sarah's lead, and in the absence of actual project pictures, post gratuitous photos of my pet.

This would be my dog, working very, very hard, when she used to come to work with me every day at the yarn store. I think it's entirely possible that this is my favorite picture of her. Especially because I woke her up about three seconds later and shooed her off the couch. I know, I'm a big bad meanie...

No comments:

Bookmark and Share