Monday, September 13, 2010

Saddle up

So I survived my first day back on the Child Psychiatry inpatient service. Rounds lasted for-ev-er (over half our service was new from the weekend), but aside from that, it was decent. I'm glad to be back on the inpatient psychiatry horse.

Peng and I did this focus group this evening, which was a new and different experience. It was us, six oncologists, and one rehab doc talking about how the state medical society could be useful to us. It really underscored the difference between the specialties and sets up a bit how the split of "us" and "them" arises. They complained about faltering NIH funding (a very valid concern); we were moaning about already dwindling state monies being allocated away from those who need it (we were all bitching about access to care). One of them spends four days a week researching leukemia in dogs. Which, if I - or for that matter, my dog - ever get leukemia, I would absolutely go to her. Her research has the potential to save lives. Meanwhile, though, I'm talking one of my adults off a ledge and trying to manage a kid who's been completely overmedicated by his community provider. Which, when you get down to the impact each of us makes, is equally important; my "life saving" efforts are on a more individualized scale, but they're relevant nonetheless. I totally felt like they - who work literally yards away from us - were way up in the ivory tower, while we were down digging in the trenches. It was an interesting perspective. And, I'm quite certain, not at all the point of the focus group.

Of course, by that analogy...the hospital Starbucks must be the entrance to the castle.

I'd always suspected as much......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, the "Ivory Tower" concept of research, planning, investigations ---whatever you want to call it-- KEEPS THE 'Toweretts" in business.

BUT BUT BUT

They need to CHECK OUT 'Basement" to really get the knowledge.

Like in our grade school ( many years ago) the Sch Board had MEN designing the Home Ec dept with the kitchens. One of them had the 'foresight' to GET THE HOME EC
TEACHERS TO be on the designing and planning.

RESULT WAS EXCELLENCE, EFFICIENCY AND HAPPINESS. ! ! !

So as you said---"Back in the saddle again" Lala laa llaa a good sing along----

Enjoy Carol

Bookmark and Share