Sunday, February 20, 2011

Prayers welcome

So my friend Olga's house burned down last night. Not sure what happened, not sure what they're going to do from here, but do know that she, her two year old, and her parents (who were staying with her) all got out okay. And so did her two dogs and her cat. But they lost absolutely everything in the fire. 

Needless to say, the news shook me up quite a bit. Frankly, that's one of my worst fears, personally. And she's been having a horrible year; this was rather the last thing she needed. What a mess.

It did drive home a point, though. She texted me, "amazing how it became about what was salvaged instead of what was lost."

It made an impression.

So as I went through my day today, I tried to make a point of being grateful for who and what I have in my life. And it turned out to be a nice day. Coffee with the Village, a little bit of work, a good lunch with friends, and a nice afternoon with Cleo and the baby on her last day of maternity leave. It was really good. And then I came home and did my taxes. I managed not to owe anything. And then laundry, dishes, dinner...the stuff of everyday life. Sweet and simple.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so sorry for your friend whose house burnt down. Glad ALL the family members were able to get out. That is the good news.

I too often think about the devastion that a fire would create. I am attached to my "things" and loosing them would be heartbreaking----but putting thoughts in perspective---they are just 'things' no matter how important. It is your memories that will remain along with all the family and continuing to move forward in life.

And the Sweet and Simple stuff of everyday life is good.

Take care Carol

Bookmark and Share