Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Sleepy

So did I mention this whole sleep issue? I'm a terrible sleeper. I have a tough time getting to sleep, a worse time staying asleep, and then I wake up early, eventually fall back asleep and then can't get out of bed. It's obnoxious. Plus, when I am asleep, I have these intolerably epic dreams, and I thrash about so much the dog won't sleep with me anymore.

So I had that sleep study last week. They decided I had two things going on: one, I have obstructive sleep apnea, and two, I've got PLMS, or Periodic Limb Movements of Sleep. So I stop breathing and I thrash a lot. So tomorrow night they're doing a CPAP titration. Basically, it's a face mask and a machine that blows air in your face so your airways stay open. Not glamorous. But effective. And I get to wear it every single night for the rest of my damn life, more or less.

I'm a little worried about the whole thing, but I think it'll be fine...and I'm definitely looking forward to sleeping better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like something my dad needs, but you know how old Greeks are about getting help for problems.

Anonymous said...

Dnielle's Greek Dad and my Italian husband----

don 't need help. Yeah right!

But hope this medical procedure will help you.

Question: do 'they' know why people get sleep apnea?

Finally don't be worried--you will be fine and when you wake up refreshed and 'raring' to go---it will be great.

Enjoy carol
Oh yeah---more snow today----

Tiny Tyrant said...

Well I skipped the CPAP with surgery, but I'm not sure I would advocate for it since it was pretty horrible recovering but I sleep now and the husband doesn't have to listen to the machine.

But you could look into surgical option for the obstructive sleep apnea. It's a thought. For me it ended up being a tonsillectomy, UPPP, laser reduction of the tongue and another somnoplasty.

Doesn't that sound like fun?

Bookmark and Share