Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Coolest. Friends. Ever.

So, as per usual, I was on call last night. Shocking, I know (this every fourth night thing is getting a little weary, and I still have 257 days to go, according to the little countermajig. Which translates into roughly 65-70 more calls, and oh my GOD, that was a number I never should've crunched). And it wasn't too bad a night - the lady who was in the unit with DTs and detoxing off of methadone, street opiates, cocaine, xanax, and who knows what else did not actually have a seizure, nor did she achieve her goals of chewing through her restraints or biting her nurse. The kid who keeps sticking foreign objects in his dialysis port (he now has a staple - like, you know, the kind that holds paper together - in his lung, permanently) managed to not stick anything else in there last night. I was on with one of my favorite moonlighters. And I even got my flu shot yesterday. Why people needed to call me at 2am to clarify orders that weren't going to be carried out for another 6 or 7 hours is totally beyond me, but, all in all, it wasn't a bad night. And I only have one more State Hospital medicine call left (Saturday) until January. Huzzah.

So I got home around noon, picked up a disappointing burger at the Cook Out down the street, and came home and tried to nap. But there was banging outside. My damn pager went off (not it, people, not it!). And then the doorbell rang, at like, 2:30. And I thought, who the hell...?

And I thought about just ignoring it, but then I decided that it might be maintenance and they might be coming in if I didn't answer, and I was not in the mood to have my apartment invaded, so I got up, threw on my bathrobe, and trudged downstairs to say, no thank you, whatever you're selling, I don't want to buy any.

But I opened the door, and I found this package. And I opened it, and it was one of the best pieces of mail I've ever, ever, ever received. Look what was inside:

These, along with a card from my knitting buddies back in Chicago (Sarah and Lorna, and Joy, Valerie, Cindy, and Heather, who don't have blogs for me to link to). There are six of them, and six pieces, so I'm guessing that everybody made one. The patterns are apparently from a Leisure Arts book of bath and spa sets, and the yarn is Lily Sugar and Cream, in a colorway that will go very nicely with my upstairs bathroom. So awesome!!

What's also amusing is that in my drowsy stupor, the first things I saw when I opened the tissue were the bath mitt and the two hand towels, which looked like one really long piece of cloth, and the gathered up top of the soap bag. And I thought, huh. This is really cool, but why did they make me a hat, mittens, and scarf set out of cotton?

And then I got it.

And then I got a little sniffly.

So now I'm all ready for a day of fabulous spa-like self pampering (all I need is, um, a day). I love them! And I really like the little lace detail. So cool! THANKS SO MUCH, Y'ALL!!!

Plus, if you saw the comments from the last post, I also got notification today from Amanda that Sarah had entered me in her contest, and I won! It's an embarrassment of riches today, really...and I appreciate each and every bit more than I can ever tell any of you.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Yeah, well. We just rock.
But so do you. How could you expect less?

Lorna said...

Ditto to what Sarah said! We miss you a ton too - Snooper says "howdy ya'll"....

Valerie said...

You are missed and wish you were here, but glad you are doing what you want to do....

Bookmark and Share