Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Meme a little meme with me

I was tagged, sort of indirectly, by Barb for this. And since I have the WHOLE DAY OFF tomorrow (in the middle of the week! Not even post call! A whole day!), I thought I'd indulge. (For those of you unfamiliar with the concept of a meme, click here, or if you want to know the actual sociological definition of meme, click here).

Things I'm Passionate About:
1. The people who are close to me
2. My dog
(and the rest, in no particular order)
3. Music
4. Justness and fairness
5. Language, words, and communication
6. Beauty, meaning, and analogy
7. Knitting
8. Access to quality mental health care (and being able to provide same)

Things I Want To Do Before I Die:
1. Get through my intern year and manage the lingering effects of the last one
2. Develop actual self esteem
3. Learn to paint for real
4. Have a healthy, useful relationship with a good man
5. Communicate to those close to me exactly how much they mean to me (never gonna happen. There aren't words for this. But I'd like to come close)
6. Become a really, really good psychiatrist and have a productive career
7. Be able to give voice to those who had theirs taken in those ways I lost mine
8. Live long, and well

Things That I Say Often:
1. Is alls I'm saying
2. This is Dr. Kate, returning a page? (Okay, I use my last name)
3. Dude (typically a conjugate - as in "Dude, whatever" or "Dude, seriously!!")
4. Shhhhhhhhit!
5. You know what I'm saying.
6. Are you fucking kidding me? (Hey, my vocabulary is a capacious lexicon. Which is why it's okay that I swear like a sailor)
7. Are we there yet?
8. Hmm. And when have you felt like that before?

Books I've Read Recently (Or Am Reading):
Currently have my nose in...
1. Travels With Charley In Search of America, John Steinbeck (So far, a good read)
2. Bones to Ashes, Kathy Reichs (Ditto, although I've been told it isn't quite up to par with her older stuff. Which, considering how much Break No Bones annoyed me the first time I read it, dude. Fatal Voyage and Bare Bones are still my favorite Temperance Brennan novels)
3. Clinical Neurology for Psychiatrists, David Kaufman (yawn)
Recently finished...
4. The Book of Lost Things, John Connelly (A good read. The ending's kind of predictable, but the language, imagery, and allegory are fantastic)
5. Walking in Circles Before Lying Down, Merrill Markoe (Cute. Fluffy. Quick)
6. Big Big Love, Hanne Blank (Excellent. Purports to be about sex although it really isn't, and a wonderful book for anyone with body image issues)
7. Bitter is the New Black, Jennifer Lancaster (Funny, if kind of shallow. And made me homesick)
8. Bright Lights, Big Ass, Jennifer Lancaster (Hysterical. Funnier than Bitter. Jen's blog is also an amusing read)

Songs I Can Listen To Over and Over:
(in no particular order, and not especially my eight favorite songs of all time)
1. Get Back!, Ludacris (LOVE him. It's inexplicable)
2. Watch Me Shine, Joanna Pacitti
3. As Cool As I Am, Dar Williams
4. One Girl Revolution, Superchick
5. Blood in the Boardroom, Ani DiFranco
6. Break Away, Rascal Flatts (There are several RF songs that fit here, actually)
7. Time, Sarah McLachlan (Ditto. And this one, oddly enough, a song that will always remind me of Baltimore)
8. Judas, FHOD (The Flying Hamsters of Doom. Seriously. Coolest band ever. Why? Because my cousin plays bass, and they're actually really good, not like most people's bands-their-cousin-is-in)

What Attracts Me To My Friends:
1. Sense of humor
2. Common interests
3. Disparate interest
4. Compassion
5. Honesty
6. Genuineness
7. Common neuroses (let's be honest, here)
8. Something more diaphanous and ineffable

Things That I Learned (in the) Last Year:
(Okay, I'm taking a liberty and expanding this to the past three years)
1. I can teach knitting. Who knew?
2. Stability is fleeting and unreliable
3. Denial is a crappy defense mechanism
4. People will declare themselves, if you give them the chance
5. Who the "mentally ill" really are
6. The only way out is through
7. Where the cafeteria is at the hospital (Hey, the can't all be life lessons, can they?)
8. Exactly what I'm made of (okay, maybe I'm still learning this...)

Consider yourself tagged. Go!

2 comments:

Barb Matijevich said...

Dude.

You shame me. I'm all superficial and you are the opposite. Blessed to know you, I am. (Channeling Yoda.)

I love your blog.

Barb

Barb Matijevich said...

Oh. PS: Can I say something? Travels with Charley reads like a very pleasant little book until, well, SHIT starts happening in your life and you start recalling parts of the book and suddenly you realize that it may be the greatest book ever written. It takes a while. Is alls I'm saying.

Um, also, I really wanted to put GDR as one of those things I say frequently, but I just didn't want to explain it.

Bookmark and Share