Saturday, August 11, 2007

Because my friends are the coolest

The mail has been good to me this week.

First, it brought me this unexpected present:


A necklace, from my friend (who was my best friend in kindergarten and whom I went to school with all the way through college) and her husband (who was my housemate for two years, thanks to her), all the way from Maui. Well, they may have mailed it from Chicago, actually. But it was hand-imported! It's gorgeous. The picture doesn't do justice to the shimmery Mother-of-Pearl-ness about it. I love it. That came Saturday morning.

And then later Saturday, I got this:


Okay, true, technically this did not come in the mail, it came on an airplane, along with my friends who were visiting for the weekend. It was hand-imported all the way from Rome (unless I'm making that up and it came from Florence, but I'm reasonably sure it's from Rome. Either way, Italy). It's fabulous. I love it, too.

And THEN, today, I'm sitting on the couch, and the doorbell rings, and it's this!

From Barb. Look! It's her book! She wrote it!!! And the yarn is a very exciting Claudia's Hand Painted in Turquoise. It claims to be South African. I suspect it, too, is hand-imported (all the way from Barb's yarn stash in Texas). This was not completely unexpected, because a few days ago she wrote and warned me it was coming, and told me a rather amusing story involving karmic realignment. But until then? Completely unexpected. Wow! I love these, too. And I have to admit, this was Maggie's favorite of the three, because apparently the box arrived smelling like Barb's house, which contains cats, a dog, and couple of children. And maybe, I don't know, some armadillos or something. They do live in Texas.

(Incidentally, on a related note, Barb's cat is home and not dead. Hooray! Mags and I were worried about him.)

So how cool is that?? Thanks, everybody!!!

4 comments:

Barb Matijevich said...

I'm sorry that I tried to enslave that yarn when it was clearly meant for you. But see? It worked on the sockic realignment issue --my Eddy-V is home and he really just seems so WELL. He hasn't (sorry to be so graphic) pooped yet but other than that --he's eating and meowing and this afternoon, I had a 30 minute nap with him! (It's the real reason I love him better than the other cat.) I am still ridiculously emotional about the whole thing --it's embarrassing. But in the end, you will have beautiful socks (I love that Claudia wool Love. It.) and I will have my beautiful cat.

(And, okay, okay, so I ordered some more of that wool. Sue me. I will have beautiful cats and beautifuls socks, too.)

love you and Mags --I wish I could send any number of pets to lick her whole face. Or yours.

--Barb

DK said...

Hey, anytime I can help your karmic realignment, I'm happy to contribute. Especially when it involves me getting kickass sock yarn AND the safe return of your cat! Seriously. It doesn't get any better than that. Well, maybe cat naps with actual cats...

And also, I'm a physician. I used to be an obstetrician. Once you've been pooped on it becomes decidedly un-graphic to mention poop. So, please, feel free.

Anonymous said...

Sweet! The first necklace looks kinda silver in the picture, but once you mention that it's mother-of-pearl, I can totally see its full gorgeosity. I'm glad the mail has been so kind to you. Now we just have to find a male to be so kind... ;)

Barb Matijevich said...

You know, my biggest fear going into labor was that I was going to poop on the table. It never occurred to me that I would be too stubborn to dilate and have to have an emergency c-section with about 30 people in the room, all staring at me in my... naked pregnant-ness. And by then, I would have pooped in a teacup just to have that baby be healthy and whole.

Ah, I have such a turn of phrase, don't you think?

Bookmark and Share