Friday, August 03, 2007

What a long, strange week it's been

Oy. It's been a long freakin' week. In a good way, mostly. But I worked a lot this week (I ended up being q3 - one of the other interns got sick, which, dude, sucked way worse for her than it did for me). And my service has been complicated and exhausting - I had three child molesters and a couple of felons in my patient milieu. So, really, a lot of oppositional and antisocial behavior to contend with, lack of insight, and psychiatrist frustration. Not to mention the weird ass shit that I kept having to deal with on call. Just...oy.

But the good news is, after two very strenuous weeks of work, I am now on vacation for a week. It was scheduled a while ago, before the attack of the NCMB and its Licensing Gremlins. And it was so scheduled because I have friends coming in from back home. YAY! They're just here until Tuesday, but it's going to be a good time. We're going to bum around locally this weekend and then spend Monday at the coast. And probably see the Simpsons movie, which I need to see with them, because as you all know, I am a South Park girl myself, they are my Simpsons fans friends. It'll be a good time. Did I mention that already? Hmm. Chalk it up to the fact that I've had 3 hours of sleep in the past 38, and/or, that it'll be a good time.

In other good news, my usual dog sitter is, of all things, in Guatemala this week, so Maggie had to go to the doggie day care/boarding place whilst I was holding down the state mental fort (does it strike anyone else as weird that I get less sleep on call as a psychiatrist than I often used to as an obstetrician? I concede I was an OB in the middle of nowhere, but, still, it was a major medical center). I was a little worried she'd think she was back at the pound. But Tuesday, I picked her up early (usual pick up is at 5pm), at 2. And she was sooooo glad to see me. Until we got to the car, and she figured out that I wasn't there to join her, but that we were leaving. And we got in the car, and she literally cried all the way home (ask my dad. I called him and made him earwitness it). So today, I napped from 3 to 4:30 and then schlepped my dragging bipedal ass back over to the where my pooch was enjoying her full stay. And I walked in, and they knew right away who I was (they have over 40 dogs there for day care), and the guy brings her out and she's soaking wet. And he says, yeah, she just got out of the pool.

My dog. Who won't go out to pee if it's been raining and the grass is wet. Who glares disdainfully at any puddle she can't jump over or drink out of existence and which forces her to get her dainty little feet wet (she's part greyhound, and in her defense, they're very particular about their feet). The dog who I once took to the ocean and she ran trembling from it. The same dog who mopes at me like I'm committing a corporal crime when I give her a bath. This is the dog who "just got out of the pool."

Gotta be peer pressure.

Anyhow, we left, amid many cheerful calls from the staff of "'Bye, Maggie!", and there today there was a little less crying. Meanwhile, this is what she's done since she got home:


I guess they really wore her out!

So, I think both of us tired little gals are going to go to bed now...

4 comments:

Lorna said...

What a cute picture of Miss Maggie... she looks like she's all cuddled up!

Sounds like you've settled right into your psych routine (crazy and exhausting it might be) - you sound "relaxed" - and at home..

Glad to hear you're having some friends from home come visit - enjoy your time!

Barb Matijevich said...

How much do I love you for taking her to doggie daycare? You so totally, totally rock.

We used to have this Britany Spaniel (my first dog) who hated water like POISON. You'd turn on the hose and he'd cower in the back corner of the yard. But he was a wanderer (I once saw him climb a tree to jump over the fence. I am not kidding.) and he'd wander for twelve hours or so and then show back up, very tired.

One day, my mom found a note tied around his neck, "Owner, please call!" and a phone number. So she called.

It turned out that my dog was jumping the fence and going about four streets down and sailing over THEIR fence and into THEIR POOL.

They were not amused.

We were never all that successful at stopping him (we'd get the call. "Come and get YOUR DOG." Just dripping with venom.) so every year at Christmas, my mother would send them a nice basket of fruit.

Paige said...

That looks like a content dog and why wouldn't she be under the circumstances. What a great mama you are!~

Sarah said...

She's so cute! What a happy nappy puppy.

Bookmark and Share