Monday, December 15, 2008

Urine Ecstasy

(I am?)

This was the title of a fax I got today about one of my patients. Which followed a call I got about the same patient, saying that she'd shown up in this outside ER all threatening to kill herself and oh by the way, her urine had popped for MDMA (commonly known as? You got it. Ecstasy). Which is really out of character for her. So I called their tox lab (after calling our tox lab, who said they couldn't tell me anything without knowing what assay the other lab used), and said, what cross-reacts with the MDMA reagent? Turns out, a whole lot.

It was a helpful giggle in what turned out to be a long, long day.

Man, I'll be glad when the holidays are over...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! The (I am?) took me a while.

Anonymous said...

Nice...

(Verification word is "ircovet". Improper grammar, but what exactly am I supposed to covet?)

Bookmark and Share