Saturday, June 30, 2007

The best and the worst of things

So, you might wonder, what are my compatriots and I doing with our last weekend of freedom? A couple of my classmates are off to hang out with nearby family. One is out at the coast. A few are seeing cool movies, doing other notable "last chance" sorts of things, or just hanging out with their spouses and kids.

What am I doing? Laundry. Hanging out with the dog. Paying bills online. Watching all the CSI that stacked up on the DVR this week. Wowie.

And while I am grateful for the ability to fast forward the commercials, it doesn't save me from them entirely. This one in particular seems to be stinking up the airwaves at least every other commercial break:

Click here to watch. I can't get it to embed for some reason.

Yes, those are pigs. In a bar. Hitting on unattainably hot women. Subtle metaphor. And they are having absolutely no luck, because, well, what do you know, men are pigs, until!, our hero does the responsible thing and assumes the hot woman at the bar will be going home with him, so he goes and buys a condom from the vending machine in the bathroom. Doesn't bring one with him in case the night goes well. Doesn't make an informed choice as to which is the best or safest brand of condom. Could be Big Pete's Bargain Rubbers for all he cares, he just puts the quarter in the slot, and *POOF!* all of a sudden he's the sexiest fool in the room. Because apparently, he thinks she's a whore? I don't get it.

Now, on the flip side, there's also one really good Motel 6 commercial that runs, oh, once every couple of episodes. It's adorable. Which is, of course, why I can't find it anywhere on the internet to post it. Essentially it's a little Boston Terrier, in a room, with his person in the background, and the pup is panting away, and the subtitles say something like, "Motel 6 is always pet friendly. No matter where you go, they always welcome your pet. So I never have to leave mine at home." And the person in the background says, "I heard that!" It's simple but clever, and it very effectively targets their, ahem, target audience.

All in all, signs that I need to watch less TV. Or possibly more, I can't quite decide which. But, I have a feeling it's all going to be sort of the same DVR-fests on my day off kind of stuff for quite some time, now, so...

And speaking of Target audiences, I need to go make like my eighth trip to Target in two weeks, so maybe I'd best get on that....

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Dude, I'm so pissed about TV lately. All my shows are in reruns. The only thing I get to watch new anymore is Hell's Kitchen. Thank god for netflix.

Lorna said...

Hey, you doing ok? Haven't seen a post in nearly a week? Or are they residency-ing you to death?

Miss ya!

Bookmark and Share