Monday, October 05, 2009

Hello, Monday

One day down, four more until vacation.

Have I mentioned this? I'm headed to Hawaii for the next two weeks with my folks. It was originally supposed to be a somewhat bigger family trip, including my aunt and uncle that live nearby and maybe their kids, but in the end it's just us. Which is cool.

I'm actually more than a little anxious about this. First, there's all the damn flying. Sunday I fly back to Chicago. I have a day and a half there, and then Tuesday I spend like nine hours in the air with a brief layover in California. We're in Honolulu for five days, then there's a turbo prop plane involved in our transfer to Maui. Where we stay for another five days, and then I leave Hawaii on that Friday. Because I figured I should be home a couple of days to deal with the jet lag.

But get this - here's my trip home. So, Friday morning at like nine-ish, I get back on the flying tin can and go back to Oahu. Then around 1 I get on a plane back to the mainland. I spend four or so hours crossing the ocean, and then have a seven hour layover on the left coast. Fortunately, I also have friends there, so they're planning to whisk me away for a bit. But then I go back to the airport, and somehow spend nearly seven hours (according to the airlines. I mean, but....really?) flying the red eye back to the Chi. And then, I bum around that airport for about four hours and catch yet another damn plane back to NC.

I'm never going to see my luggage again...

But, meanwhile, I have a crapton of stuff to do between now and then. I haven't even located my suitcase, much less pack it. I realized today that it's probably going to be a lot warmer in Hawaii, and I'm not sure I really know where my lighter clothes are right now. I have books to buy and have to locate some sunscreen and I really wish I'd thought to buy a swimsuit this summer when stores were actually selling them. And I'm actually quite anxious about not being at work for a whole two weeks, despite the fact that I'm leaving them in good hands. And I'm still working on finding a place for Ms. Mags.

Meanwhile...I was driving out of the parking deck tonight, and was like, oh, well, at least today wasn't a very long day.

And then I looked at the clock, and did the math, and realized that I'd pulled in to the same parking deck almost exactly 11 hours earlier.

::sigh....::

4 comments:

robin said...

metric crapton

Anonymous said...

HOW WONDERFUL!!!! HAWAII ! ! !

NO YOU DID NOT MENTION IT?

FACE-BLOG-EMAIL whatever--LORNA AND BILL HAVE BEEN THERE A COUPLE OF TIMES FOR TIPS

hey, LIST your camera along with swim suit.
and why not knitting on those long plane rides??

you got me excited along with you.
Enjoy enjoy

Unknown said...

hawaii is awesome!!!!

and i'd be happy to take mags but she'd have to fly to Anchrorage

Tiny Tyrant said...

Any of your layovers in San Francisco chickie?

Let me know!

Bookmark and Share