Saturday, August 16, 2008

Slowly, slowly

I'm getting things done around here, in bits and pieces.

It's amazing to me, how much intern year sucked the life out of me. Especially since now my days end up being way longer than they were on the inpatient units.

It was a productive day. I bought new shoes (walking-type, nothing too exciting). I went to Target. I looked for a bike. I decided I so totally did NOT want to spend $400 on a bike that I was going to leave outside at work and so my parents are paying $60 to ship me the hot-pink-and-purple ten-speed Huffy that I bought for $10 at a garage sale back in Chicago. Ya know.

So tomorrow is my very first second-year call. We'll see how it goes. I have different responsibilities as a second year, which is new and different. But I'm on with Renee, and then Peng is my night float counterpart that comes on at 10pm (oh, sorry, 9:30. This week, the Powers That Be decreed that we would be moving night float up a half an hour. Yeah, 'cuz that'll help). Should be a good time.

I did something else today, for the first time in 4 years. I walked into a Wal-Mart. Now, I think we can all agree that Wal-Mart is not the most ethical of places. And four years ago, Claudia and I instituted a boycott against them based on a number of heinous grievances. They refused to carry Plan B, they banned a number of "questionable" books, their hiring practices were discriminatory. And I had several patients who worked at the local Wal-Mart who, when the higher-ups learned they were pregnant, reduced their hours to the point that they lost their benefits. Etc, etc. Now, they're still a NOW Merchant of Shame, but, in recent years, they've come along a little, at least. They're selling Plan B. They've been forced into some more ethical employment practices. I haven't heard about any book bannings. And they did start the $4 prescription program, which, that has been a HUGE boon to so many people. Especially now that Target, Kroger, Walgreens (FINALLY), K-Mart, and so many others are also on the bandwagon. It's been a show of good faith, and so I thought I'd return the favor.

Wow. I forgot that I kind of hated Wal-Marts to begin with.

It was dirty. And I couldn't find anything I was looking for. And it was crazy. The prices weren't as cheap as I remember (i.e., they used to be just dirt cheap on electronics). And it was actually pretty stripped, which I couldn't figure out (there were a million an twelve people at the Target this morning, too)...until I walked past a display of UNC stuff. And realized, oh. All the college kids are back in town. And that Wal-Mart is halfway between UNC and Duke. The Target's right by NC State.

It took me back to my own college days, because back then, the only thing to do in town was drunken frat house debauchery (we were a dry campus, mind you) and the Super Wal-Mart. I cannot tell you how many times I could be found wandering around the Valparaiso Super Wal-Mart at 3am causing whatever trouble we could without getting thrown out.

The area's been built up a lot since I left. Which was a shockingly long time ago, at least in my world.

Dude, my five year med school reunion is coming up soon. And I'm barely not an intern anymore. That's going to be interesting...

1 comment:

Tiny Tyrant said...

I am in my third year of Wal-mart boycotting, for all the reasons you stated and I have to deal with them professionally.

But yeah in college Wal-mart was the broke college student's salvation.

I stick to Target these days.

And a package is winging it's way to you shortly. I got the last thing I wanted for it. Expect it by the end of next week.

Bookmark and Share