Sunday, August 03, 2008

Exhaustion + Vodka

= Wow, am I drunk.

Ahh, I had so much planned today. Again, foiled by the post-call inertia.

Last night was long, and obnoxious, but, as always, never dull. I met some interesting people. I got some things thrown at me (because I made him act like that. No, I said, you had a choice. And your choice just bought you a ticket to the state hospital. Because I know how to duck, I have the pen that signs your commitment papers, and you're not going to act like a jackass on my unit). I sent a crazy old hippie to medicine who had tried to kill himself (and nearly succeeded) who gave me a great lecture about how back in the 60s marijuana "used to mean something" and PCP was a sacred ritual.

I did get one of the best quotes of my residency last night, though - this very unhappy crack addict said to me, "Girl, I got W-2s older than you, and that's legal money."

What?

So then I got about three hours of sleep on the floor of my office. I futzed around and did some paperwork, and then I went to Starbucks, came home, and played with the dog for a while. Eventually I fell asleep for a couple of hours. And then Sparrow finally convinced me to go out. She and I went to this local Japanese place that has these fabulous drinks called a Hibiscus Petal, which they make with crushed basil (of all things!) and this vodka that's infused with hibiscus flowers. Definitely different, really good. She and I had dinner and dessert, and then Mike joined us for a Dark & Stormy, and then the three of us wandered down the street to the bar at this posh hotel we've got in town. It was so nice, and I had two really awesome martinis.

Now, I am not a lightweight. But apparently when I've only slept 5 hours, on the heels of 13 of the most exhausting months of my life, it only takes about five or six ounces of various flavored vodkas (hibiscus, pomegranate, vanilla) to eradicate my sense of balance.

I fell down. At least it wasn't in the middle of the street this time.

Mike and I have concluded it's actually him, since, the last time I fell down and went boom this gloriously, I was with him. And I hadn't even started drinking yet. Although, tonight, I got home and still couldn't stand up especially straight.

And I am really, really tired. And wow, do I have a lot of work yet to do this weekend.

Guess I'd better go to bed...

3 comments:

Paige said...

That actually is a great quote!

I too have falled victim to the pomegrante martini--or so I thought. Turned out it was salmonella, but I sure felt like an idiot there for a week or so!

Congrats on finishing this part of the tour!

Barb Matijevich said...

So, I used to totally lose my equilibrium around my husband when we were dating. (I'm not saying anything about you and Mike but just...well, saying.) I spilled shit on him all the time. I think maybe some people just AFFECT us that way.

But, of course, the alcohol probably helps.

Marie said...

I saw in a subsequent post you fell and I frantically scrolled back.

The mother in me says: Oh my God, are you alright!?!?!

The woman who fell and broke her shoulder in four places this winter in me says: Oh my God, are you alright!?!?!

The 21 year old in me says: Awesome. I LOVE vodka.

lol

Seriously, I AM glad you seem to be ok. :) I hope it was worth it.

Bookmark and Share