Wednesday, July 15, 2009

In the interest of wordlessness...

...I give you a whole separate "explanatory" post.

So, they gave us this thing...I'll have to put up a picture of it...basically, the vet cut the bottom off an IV bag and laced it around the top with gauze and they made it into a boot thing for Maggie to wear when she was outside. Maggie was not super fond of this thing, and Kate thought it was utterly fucking ridiculous. Not a bad idea, but crappy in practice. It kept falling off. Maggie was stepping on the gauze and it would untie and the gauze would get stuck on her back toenails. Plus, she made this ridiculous "thwack, thwack, thwack" sound when she walked and it just looked stupid (mostly because it was falling off. And, you know, because she had a bag of Lactated Ringers tied to her foot).

But, I appreciate the idea of keeping the bandages clean and dry. So when we were going out for our evening walk tonight, and I was like...hmm...what if I just put a sock on her foot? Now...in the past...this concept of stuff on her feet has not gone over very well with Ms. Mags. But she didn't actually seem very phased by the IV bag whatsamajigger, so I was like, let's give it a shot. Maybe it'll stay on her foot...at least until she pulls it off.

Maggie readily presented her paw for socking. And it's been on her foot ever since. I might take it off later, if only to turn the thing right side out...

On the whole, by the way, she's doing better today. I've let her keep the cone off when I was home (but had to barricade her in the kitchen when I wasn't, which she wasn't real thrilled about. She really likes her crate, but, she doesn't fit in there with the headset on) and she's spent the whole day sleeping, because...okay, that's what she often does anyway, but also, I don't think she slept much last night with the cone on her head (neither did I). And she wasn't eating or drinking, so when I went to the vet to pay them today, I asked what I could give her for her tummy they gave me some canned wet food (I said, I think the antibiotics are upsetting her stomach. She looks queasy. They said, how do you know she's queasy? Has she thrown up? Y'all...I've had this dog for almost six years. She's my dog. I know how she acts when she has a tummyache). She ate some of that today, and started drinking, and it seems to be better. She ran up the stairs pretty fast tonight, so I think she's on the mend. We go to get her dressing changed tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing this vet's stitchery...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Maggs! I hope she gets to feel better when her stitches come out.

Enjoy

Julie Hoover said...

When Ms. Izzie got her nail clipped too short at the groomer and her hail wouldn't stop bleeding, we had to resort to a gauze dressing and a sock. It worked out really well. She left it alone for most of the time but once in a while would give me a little limp for some sympathy. Poor Maggie...

Bookmark and Share