Friday, July 17, 2009

"No. Really. Come back soon."

First of all, a very happy birthday to my cousin Danielle. She's a Baskin-Robbins this year (31). Many happy returns. Maybe I'll actually make it down to Texas to visit before we're 32. Or at least before Annalise is!!

Re, the title: I went up to the unit today to see one of my therapy patients who wound up on the inside, and ran into my friend John, whom I haven't seen in a while. The end of our conversation entailed a discussion of how I was going to be back working the inpatient units (also clinic. Eek) in two weeks. He was like, "good. It'll be good to have you back." I said, I'm sure you'd do just fine without me.

I tell you what. I had six patients scheduled today. My last one was at 2 and was the one that was admitted. I got in wretchedly early so I could leave by 4 at the very latest (nooooo problem, right? Ha) and make my rescheduled appointment with my trainer at 5.

I left the hospital at around 5:30 (which, incidentally, was a good hour or more before Peng got to leave. Catatonia slows everything down).

And oy, it was a long day. One of my patients didn't show. Another one cancelled (when I texted her ten minutes after her appointment time and said, are you coming?). I had THE LOUDEST HUMAN BEING ON EARTH's mother and case worker calling me to complain about each other (I'm not telling you whose side I'm on). I had a crapton of prescription refills, paperwork, and lab reports waiting for me. And of course I spent like two hours total up on the adolescent unit.

So my kid, who's getting closer to legal adulthood every day, got "in trouble" for talking to one of the younger patients about sex. I asked her about this, and she says, "well, the other patient had questions. I was honest with her. We talked about what it means to have that in your life. It wasn't like I was giving her advice on positions or anything."

I asked the staff, "what kind of 'talking about sex' was this?" They said, "well...it was about sex."

::sigh::

I'm sure the answer is somewhere between Little Miss Innocent and Little Miss Devil, but, come on, people.

Not to mention...here's the beginning of my conversation with John.

(John is standing in front of the nurses' station and, illustrating a point - although I can't imagine what point - has his hands up over his head and is reaching down his back. I happen to be walking behind him and poke at his fingers. You know, because we're 12.)

John: Hi, Kate.
Me: Hey, John.
John: I'd know those fingers anywhere!
Me: Shh! John! Don't tell them our business!
John: I meant anywhere geographically, not anywhere on my body! That's a whole other conversation we shouldn't have in front of the kids.

The nurses found this humorous (God only knows why). Now, I concede, John and I are both adults. My hands have never actually been lower than John's scapula (I think I've punched him in the shoulder a couple of times), and we're obviously friends, and obviously kidding. And the staff jokes at this level all the time (because? We're all secretly 12 when we walk on that unit). Which is fine, as long as everyone involved is okay with it (John and I know our limits, but part of the reason we get along so well is that he's as dirty as I am, and we both know this). But it does suggest an atmosphere of...casualness and permissiveness about these sorts of things.

There's a lot of ways to "talk about sex." Some of them are really inappropriate. Some of them are really beneficial. And the younger patient in question was a teenager. Hopefully, she's had some formal sex ed at this point. And you KNOW she's had some form of informal sex ed by that age. Plus, sex is kind of a basic human thing (anyone remember Maslow? Or Freud? Or Salt-n-Pepa?). You can make it something that can be discussed openly in a respectful and appropriate manner, or you can make it something that needs to be whispered about at night between bed checks.

I'm just saying.

(In a related story, my Aunt Aphrodite, earlier this week, was telling a story at our big family gathering about seeing this movie which referenced "BJs", and these two older women in the theater in front of her that were like, "What the heck's a BJ?" So she's telling this story, and several of my relatives were like...um...what IS a BJ? She says, think about what it stands for. And one of my uncles starts spelling. Seriously. "Is it b-l-o...?" I finally stuck my head out of the kitchen, and was like, "Oral sex. It's oral sex. Finish the story." Christ on a cracker, I'm THIRTY, people. And a doctor. As funny as it was, spelling things just ain't going to cut it...but back to my point.)

There are a lot of problems with assuming that kids don't talk/think/know about sex and making it a shameful or off-limits thing to discuss. You create a mysterious or rebellious drive to find out. You send them looking to other sources for information that can be unreliable or dangerous. You deprive them of learning what's appropriate to discuss when and how. Like I said, I don't know what the story really is, here, in this scenario, but I don't think it should automatically be a demerit just on principle.

And the thing that's most important to me in a group of kids like this who are at very high risk of abuse or exploitation, you make it impossible for them to talk to you about it. So, you've made it something bad and shameful, which you don't talk to adults about...how do you deal with it if someone's hurting you or making you do things or even just making you uncomfortable?

It's just sex, folks. Funny how it's important, but trying to make it seem unimportant makes it become just that much more important.

3 comments:

robin said...

omg, i LOLed all over the place reading this. first it was "catatonia slows everything down" and then it was salt-n-pepa. seriously funny shit. it's one of those times that i'm glad my roommate is not home because she may have been concerned about the random outbursts of laughter coming from behind my bedroom door.

Anonymous said...

Alphabet soup------used to be a novelty in Campbell Soup.

But now it is standard in Life.

But for us oldsters----it takes a little thinking---with an OPEN MIND ready and willing to learn.

LOL and NJOY Carol

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Bookmark and Share