Sunday, January 03, 2010

Oops, there goes gravity

So, it's back to reality in NC tomorrow.

(My apologies both for the ridiculous title of this post as well as the Eminem reference from whence it came.)

I had a pretty un-busy Sunday, which was completely delightful. Mags and I slept in a LOT (I woke up at 9:30, dozed and refused to get out of bed for another hour). We went to Starbucks and then stopped at the Teeter to get a Sunday paper, with the goal of attacking the coupon circulars. Now, hear me when I say that cutting coupons is NOT my idea of a good time, frankly, but one of my goals for this year is to be more fiscally responsible (because, in trying to work out out a budget over break, I somehow can't afford my life, which is honestly not all that fancy. Electricity, heat, basic cable, no landline... I make way too much to be this poor). And then I looked at the ads, and the online specials, and plotted, and planned (and played on the internet), and then somehow it was 3pm. So I headed out. I went to the gym. I went to Staples. I went to Trader Joe's. I went to Walgreens. I saved a very not-insignificant amount of money, but most of that was at Staples, which I'll explain in a minute. But, between the ads and the coupons, and not including Staples (or the $.50 notebook I got there on clearance), I estimate I saved about $12. Not bad.

So, running a bit counter (although not entirely) to the fiscal initiative...I haven't been able to find the power cord to my old (in the tech world) and often cranky printer. I've looked in every box, crevice, and usual hiding spot I could possibly think of. And it's becoming more and more irritating to only be able to print things at work. So I got stuck in the middle of something today and was finally like, screw it. I'm going to look around, and if I can find a justifiable deal, I'll suck it up and buy a new printer. So I research it, and this week, at Staples, I find a very nice Canon 3-in-1, reasonably priced to begin with, that has a $50 instant rebate. And duplex printing, and wireless capability (thank heavens, because I already have enough things tethered to my laptop), and it prints photos straight from the card - or the internet - and, you know, some other fancy-dancy things. All for the same price that I paid for my old 3-in-1 a hundred years ago (well...2002 or 2003, probably). Cool.

So I rationalize the hell out of this purchase. I go, I buy it, I come home to set it up. And....okay. I open the box, I fuss with all the cords and cartridges, etc. I go to clear off a part of the table in my bedroom which is currently acting as a temporary home for a bunch of different things, not the least of which is the old printer. And....I'm moving some things....and what do I find?

The power cord for the other printer.

Of course.

In a spot where - I'm so not kidding - I've looked AT LEAST 30 separate times.

::sigh::

But, it does print a lot better. And the duplex printing thing seems valuable. Tree-saving and whatnot. So, okay....

4 comments:

Julie Hoover said...

haha...that ALWAYS happens to me! I'm sorta glad I am not the only one.

Claudia said...

But did you get a Wii?

Victoria said...

Ha! I actually referenced a different Eminem song in my blog post for yesterday (my blog is very boring and not nearly as awesome as yours). Still, I thought this was too much of a coincidence to go uncommented upon.

Okay...the coincidence really wasn't all that exciting.

Sorry.

I hope you're well!

Anonymous said...

I am SO GLAD this problem of not being able to FIND THINGS ------then finding after "buying" the "thing" happens to other people besides me.

What a nice way to start out the New Year "I am not alone and not yet senile". thank you Kate

And I usually state: Darn, I SAW the thing---just did not "SEE" THE THING

Coupons can save a lot of Do Re Mi--and you do know they are on the internet ( if you know how to find them) and with your NEW PRINTER you can print them out. Yay!

Economy----budget-----cost-----and we are burning a lot of LP gas during this cold spell----and the COST------will need to order more and better do it NOW before -------- Next will be installing a wood burner---we have 50 acres of woods to burn. A real savings - - - - -free--but for the labor

But as a song goes, "we will survive"

enjoy mags and back to work Carol

Bookmark and Share