Saturday, December 01, 2007

Oh, and the other thing I found...

I almost forgot in my exhausted delirium yesterday...remember how I was looking at knitting books? I didn't actually buy any (although I did pick up the Holiday Gifts edition of Interweave Knits), but I spotted this:

Leave it to Debbie Stoller to create a book that's fun and interesting and a little off center and still fill it with knitting patterns for men that men might actually wear and/or knit. Without being a book full of stupid things like beer cozies and "utility cloths" and really, really gay-man sweaters (i.e., Knitting With Balls). My very favorite pattern is the Naughty/Nice Scarf, which just looks like a shitload of colorwork but oh, how funny. Here's a picture of that (stolen from someone else's blog):

I know exactly the man I would've made it for, too, had he not turned out to be a dumbass (don't they all?). And then I would've borrowed it, and it would've come contingent with a break-up clause (as in, if we break up, custody of the scarf reverts back to me) because after all, I'd slogged through all that colorwork and charts and swearing (you know there'd be a lot of swearing). I'm trying to decide if I could get away with making it for myself, because, I just think that's hilarious. But probably not nearly as funny to the general public on a woman. Particularly one who is clearly not a stripper.

And, dude, that's a lot of colorwork.

But there are a lot of other good patterns in it, too. I've vowed not to buy it until I have a man in my clutches, er, in my life worth knitting for, but I'm probably going to cave in and buy it long before that happens. Because the, uh, knitting prospects these days are sparse.

I have too many things on the needles as it is.

In other news, I have the weekend off. Oh, how I've missed the weekends off! It's the best part of working at State Hospital. I actually cleaned today. I mean, the place is still far from presentable (there are still boxes in the front room and whatnot. And it still looks way too cluttered, but that's partially because the first floor of my apartment isn't laid out very well), but, hey, I get points for something.

I also started knitting a very simple felted bag out of some of the yarn I got at Peggy's. It's turning out well. And I finished the hat out of my hat/scarf/fingerless gloves set, and started on the fingerless gloves. I haven't gotten very far on those. And I still can't figure out what to do with the scarf. And I'm not super pleased with the hat. I'm thinking I should've done cables. Actually, I'm thinking now that I should've made this hat:

Only in brown, with variegated trim. Emily Deschanel was wearing it on Bones this week. It was one of those "you know you're a knitter when..." moments, when I paused it just to get a good look at her hat and then mentally started working up the pattern...

Oh, and happy December. I officially made it through NaBloPoMo with 30 posts in the month of November. Which, okay, that and $5 will get you a latte. But I'll try not to regress to my prior sporadic posting habits.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate-
I do know one man who knits.

What about Siberian hats? The kind with the ears???

Sarah said...

I bought that book as soon as I saw it. That scarf makes me laugh, but the one I must have for myself is the Ernie Sweater. So cute!

Bookmark and Share