Sunday, December 30, 2007

Rainy Sunday

It's a rainy, rainy Sunday afternoon here in NC. Little Miss Delicate Puppy Dog is not pleased, neither by the giant puddle that is our back patio nor by the thunder that's rumbling around. I think maybe she's forgotten about her dislike for snow, though.

I'm feeling better. I'm not willing to go to "great" yet, still a little dizzy and nauseated but I'm significantly less achy and slept a little better last night. And my temp is down. I think the staying home yesterday was good for me (regardless of the fact that I would've been useless at the hospital). I even managed to go run some errands this morning. I was going to run to the Super Target, where, in theory, I could get everything I needed. But, of course, I totally forgot something that I didn't remember until after I'd left, which is my habit with Target. So I stopped at the Whole Foods to pick up milk. Which was better, anyway, because they always have local goods, and I'm always much happier to buy local. And while I was in the dairy section, I bought this:
Partly because I was running low on feta cheese (it's a staple around here). Partly because it cracked me up. Apparently this spelling is because the Greek government is cracking down on their proprietary right to call only cheese made in Greece "feta".

Pheta...

And as long as we're taking pictures of ridiculous things in my fridge, I also happen to think this is really funny. I have this package of polenta, right? And in the preparation instructions, is this:

Nine sixteenths? Really? They couldn't have just said half an inch?

Anyway. As I was saying.

Maggie and I spent pretty much the whole day hanging outdoing nothing yesterday (which, incidentally, is also my plan for this afternoon). Pretty much any time I got up, Mags stole my place on the couch.

We spent most of the time that we were awake watching movies on Lifetime. I got sucked in to the end of this really, really awful one called Criminal Intent. Wow, holy cow was it terrible. The acting was terrible. The plot was ludicrous. I'd watched about ten minutes of it and turned on something else, but then decided to turn it back on to catch the last fifteen minutes. Wow, it was so bad.


But by then I was sucked into the Lifetime vortex, and I ended up watching this movie about some Mormon woman in one of those extremist polygamist sects that escaped with her kids. It was formulaic, but entertaining. And then there was this movie called "Girl, posi+ive" with Kelly from 90210 (why can't I think of her name? Oh, Jennie Garth) about a girl that got HIV in high school. That one was actually fairly creative. And then I watched "The Waitress" on On Demand. I'd kind of wanted to see it back when it was in the little art film theaters, but never got around to it, and then yesterday they were advertising it and I discovered that it had Nathan Fillion in it, and well, I was sold (I adore him, even if he does have that weird hypertelorism thing going on). It was decent. Not as good as I was expecting after all the hype, and I didn't really like the relationship between Fillion's character and Keri Russell's (I think it's because I'm a doctor. There was a whole, medical ethics, makes-me-feel-kind-of-icky-inside thing to it that I probably wouldn't have responded to if I was, say, an accountant). But on the whole, worth the cheap rental.

So this afternoon I'm planning to do some knitting (I'm thisclose to having my sock finished. You know, the one I started in June) and nap through a marathon of Law and Order: SVU, which is one of my new favorite shows. Not because of the show itself all that much. I mean, it's well acted in general. The plotlines are usually fairly well written (although I occasionally find myself rolling my eyes when they blow right past the obvious solution and thinking, don't you people ever watch CSI??). And who doesn't love the irony of "Body Count" Ice-T as a cop? But really, what I love most is their liberal use of forensic psychiatrists, particularly the later episodes with B.D. Wong. That? Is the job I want. Right there. Profiling. Consulting to law enforcement. Doing actual criminology and forensics work, not prison psychiatry. Except maybe for the FBI. Really, I want to be Gordon Gordon.

Shut up, Katie, I do not watch too much TV.....

2 comments:

Sparkling Red said...

Does your grocery store also carry Phrench Phries and Phresh Phruit?

Anonymous said...

Hey now, I never said you watch too much tv. I said you sound like you watch too much tv. Pay attention.

And I'm beginning to question our friendship......I can't stand BD Wong's character!!!

Bookmark and Share