Saturday, March 15, 2008

Considering myself tagged

So my cousin Danielle "created" this meme based on some questions from this book, which she notes was written by a psychologist in order to get yourself thinking. I thought it was interesting. I added a couple (from the first few pages, which are on Amazon). And I echo her terms - if you are reading this, and you like memes, then feel free, you are already tagged.

Do you believe in ghosts or evil spirits? Would you be willing to spend a night alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted?

I do, which is to say, I believe that we don't really understand the world we live in, the nature and/or physics of consciousness or what happens in the afterlife. I think there are spirits, not necessarily "evil" or "good". And, yeah, probably. Could be fun.

If you were to die this evening with no opportunity to communicate with anyone, what would you most regret not having told someone? Why haven't you told them yet?

Generally, I try to let people know what they mean to me. I've come close to dying a couple of times, and I've been around death a lot. I know how tenuous life is. I try to keep that in mind. I hope the people I love know that I love them.

If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1% of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public?

Absolutely not. That would never get past the FDA. And the class action lawyers would be salivating, regardless of how much time you spent on informed consent. Plus, you know, arthritis is debilitating, but not fatal. We can do better.

Do you think the world will be a better or worse place 100 years from now?

Yes. Also no. I think it depends on your perspective.

Would you accept a million dollars to leave the country and never set foot in it again?

Sure. I get to pick where I'm going, right?

Which sex has it easier in our culture? Have you ever wished you were a member of the opposite sex?

I think men definitely have it easier in our culture, and, really, in most cultures. Please, who hasn't wished that? You know, at least for a day or two. Generally I'm rather happy being a woman, but you've got to wonder what it's like on the other side.

If at birth you could select the future profession of your child, would you do so?

Nah. I mean, on the whole I'd prefer it wasn't a criminal endeavor, but beyond that, anything they want to do that makes them happy and through which they can support themselves is fine with me.

Would you be willing to become extremely ugly physically if it meant you would live for 1,000 years at the age that you choose?

Wait, I get to live for a thousand years?! How come nobody told me before?

If you could wake up tomorrow having gained one ability or quality, what would it be?

Teleportation. I'd never be late again, and I'd save so much on gas.

For an all-expense paid, one week vacation to anywhere in the world you choose, would you be willing to kill a beautiful butterfly by pulling on its wings? What about stepping on a roach?

Oh, I'll step on a bunch of roaches for, like, a Target gift card. The butterfly, well, probably not. It wasn't doing anything to me, and pulling its wings off is just sort of cruel. So it's a double standard. It's a double standard based on pestilence. I mean, really though.

If God appeared to you in a series of vivid and moving dreams and told you to leave everything behind, travel alone to the Red Sea and become a fisherman, what would you do?

I'd probably think about adding some Risperdal to my current medications.

You discover your wonderful one year old child is, because of a mix-up at the hospital, not yours. Would you want to exchange the child or try to correct the mistake?

No way. Although I'd want to have a relationship with the other family, for the sake of both kids. You need to know about your genetics, you know?

If you could spend one year in perfect happiness but afterward remember nothing of the experience, would you do so? If not, why not?

Absolutely. Because I think you remember in other ways beyond what this question implies.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share