Friday, March 14, 2008

Ohhhhhh, it's FRIDAY

Thank. God.

AND it's the last full weekend I have until MAY. 107 more days, yo.

Today...oh, my gosh, I'm just so glad this week is over. I finally made it to a Grand Rounds today. I was so disappointed. My attending was all excited about this guy. My shrink, last night, warned me that she was coming to GR because she was trying to get this guy to come speak somewhere else (and technically she's part of our department). And then I went to the "lunch with the speaker" thing, and wow, I thought he was just so cool. He was a profiler for the CIA. Oh, my word, talk about my dream job! I mean, okay, it's a little backwards; he used to profile actual people - political leaders, which, actually, isn't where my interest lies either. But still, wow. And he had such great stories. And I was like, how cool.

And then I went to his talk, which was about terrorism.

I was so disappointed. And then I asked him a question, which I thought was a really good question. I asked him, how does that line get crossed between activism and terrorism? And then he interrupted me and then he gave a very tangential answer about how we have to work against radical Islam, not just terrorists.

What?

I sat there with this bewildered look on my face, which usually prompts the speaker to ask, "does that answer your question?" Which typically gives me the opportunity to say, well, no, what I was really getting at was.... He didn't bite. But what I was really getting at was, you know, Rosa Parks met a lot of the criteria he mentioned for who becomes a terrorist.

Rosa Parks? Really, really, really not a terrorist. Just a tired black woman on a bus. Just an activist.

You know, a lot of people protest, and fight, and argue. A lot of people play the media. There's a pathology in there somewhere that makes protesters into terrorists. I think that's where it becomes fascinating.

Oh well. Whatever.

I had to more to tell you, but, dudes....we're tired....

1 comment:

Tiny Tyrant said...

I really do love the pics of your dog honey.

Get some rest.

Hugs and scritches.

Bookmark and Share