Thursday, March 27, 2008

Love This

First of all, I appreciate no one commenting on how I misspelled the title of yesterday's post.

Second of all, read this.

He. He he he.

What's particularly amusing to me is that from this account of his behavior, I could petition and commit him in the state of North Carolina. I won't, because that would muck up the campaign. But the thought amuses me.

It was yet another looooooong day at work. We had a very anxiety-inducing lecture on anxiety. And then I had an even more anxiety-provoking, two hour long family meeting (which of course, started at 4) with the family of my really, really sick patient, which included the mother who yesterday told me I was killing her baby. And obviously the patient's dad. And the mother's sister (whom I would swear was related to the father, because she was so rational and level-headed). And the mother's brother, who's a psychologist, whom I was actually quite glad he was there, except that he kept posturing by pimping us about the medications. One of the differences between us (psychiatrists) and psychologists is that we deal in meds. PhDs can't prescribe. So he's all like "blah blah blah, what's the efficacy, can you speak about the side effect profile, blah blah blah". Which, wow, my attending was a rock star. He whipped out all this data and information and studies with big acronyms and I was like, wow, thank God you're here. After all was said and done, the meeting went amazingly well. The mom held it together and really tried to hear what we were saying. I stepped off my platform of "No. Seriously. This is quite possibly schizophrenia. You just need to accept it already."

It's Love Thursday. Today, I love my attending. And also, I love my medical student, who took such an active role in the family meeting and really in this patient's care altogether and she's just really good. And honestly, truly....even though I'm exhausted and drained and pissed off about a couple of things I'll elaborate at another time altogether....I love my job.

5 comments:

LG said...

I am continually astounded by the fact that so few people seem to read your blog when I am riveted by it.

I've commented before - and been hospitalized with blood clots and a PE last year - and I'm fascinated by the inside hospital perspective. I shouldn't be - I have friends who are doctors.

And I'm from Chicago.

Regardless - what does a psychotic break in a straight-A student look like??? How does someone who seems to have their s*** together on the outside all of sudden break apart?

Are there signs?

DK said...

I get about 50 hits a day, here, or so, which is respectable for a little, rambling-on-about-my-life blog such as this. Or at least it makes me happy. Apparently they're a lot of lurkers, though.

Ahem, people! Speak up! Comments are the highlight of my day!

Lisa, that's a really good question. I'll do a post about first breaks either tonight or this weekend.

Anonymous said...

OK! OK! I am not a lurker today----so I comment today.

I thought your black man who was talking about change had his hat, hand, box, container all ready for "change" the jingly kind.

Your "vignettes" are interesting, sometimes sad, funny and of course MAGGIE is the best of all.

Please keep it up.

Carol-Northwest Tenn.

Anonymous said...

I don't lurk, I have too big a mouth (or keyboard);)

Anonymous said...

NAG! NAG! to "improve" one of your bad habits.

Bad habit No. 4 (I think) to read mail.

Then comment back. Whine whine

Wrong kind? ? ?

Carol

Bookmark and Share