Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Crazy Tuesday

But then again, what day isn't crazy day in my world.

Such a long day at work. Ohhhh, dear.

My patients continue to be really, really, really sick. One of them is getting a little bit better, the college girl who had her first episode of schizophrenic psychosis...can you imagine how horrible that must be? For her, for her family...and, really, a little for her psychiatrist, who's like, wow, I didn't see this coming, but in retrospect, I so should have...which, no, he couldn't have until she actually had her psychotic break. Which, by the way, seems to be a very fitting word. She's done broke. And now she's broken. And hopefully we can fix her, at least a little. But, you know, two years ago she was a straight-A student. Now she's completely psychotic and trapped in the false reality of her own head. Her very sweet and loving and supportive parents are devastated, and I can't imagine how they could possibly be anything else. And in truth, I think the part of the girl that was that's still in there somewhere is struggling and fighting and really conflicted by what seems real. The meds are helping a little. It's heartbreaking.

My other really, really sick patient has gotten worse. She'd been doing better, and we were going to send her home at the end of last week. I said it, Thursday, that if we didn't discharge her, she was going to decompensate over the weekend. Sure enough, she's a whirling dervish now. Who's being rude and acting out and was caught with her hand in some other patient's lap this afternoon. Which is when she nearly found herself on a bus to the state hospital, but my attending told me not to be so impulsive. I hate to tell him this, but she's been walking that line for over a week, and I would've sent her a long time ago if he would have let me.

Tomorrow, I have a really crazy pregnant lady coming down to my service from the crisis unit. Seems appropriate, huh? She should be interesting...

But then again, it's always interesting on the psych ward.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share