Monday, March 03, 2008

I dream of angels but I live with demons

Today's SVU quote. From a schizophrenic suspect who refuses his medication. Which, incidentally, drove me crazy about this episode because, seriously, we force meds on people who aren't sane enough to want them all the damn time.

But I do feel like this is a nice summation of the struggle that is mental illness, regardless of whether it's schizophrenia, bipolar, depression, trauma, eating disorders...no matter if you actually hear voices, or just deal with the voices in your head.

I feel like this a lot myself, actually.

Today was...not a good day. Got some bad news. My dog ran away when I opened the door to clip her out (she's back, but not before she got about a hundred feet from the big major street by our complex, which is on the other side of an on ramp for the highway. I was already getting a little screechy, I was a hair's breadth from hysterics when she finally turned and came back over to me). It turns out we lost in not-court, despite the fact that the plaintiff has NO EFFING CASE. I tried to redo my nails and got smeary goop all over everywhere. Blogger freakin' refuses to upload my pictures.

I'm not pleased with today.

I did go to the yarn store, though, and got replacement yarn for a new shawl. I spent about twenty minutes picking up the same three balls of Encore and being displeased with my choice of the same three balls of Encore when I finally spotted this hand painted yarn called Elaine by Schaefer Yarns. I'd show you a picture, but.... I also got more Lamb's Pride for my friend's baby blanket. I'm going to be doing an awful lot of garter stitch in the next few weeks...

13 comments:

Barb Matijevich said...

I don't get how you could have lost in not-court. I don't know the full story but WTF?

I wonder what got into Maggie?

You okay?

Anonymous said...

OMG, I would have had a heart attack if my dog did that (thank god for separation anxiety, she won't go 10 feet from me).
I hope things get better today.

Tiny Tyrant said...

Aw geez girl.

I would have totally been in hystronics if any of my boys had done that. I have one that likes to go through the fence (before we fixed it) and then through that neighbors fence the medical complex parking lot which is right next to one of the main roads. Scary scary.

Sorry you lost in arbitration. That bites.

Nice on the yarn score though. I must try something from Schaeffer Yarns soon.

Anonymous said...

life according to one heck of a dull girl

Anonymous said...

life according to one heck of a dull girl

DK said...

Oooh, that was scathing!

Barb Matijevich said...

You know, DK, you ought to make it so people can't leave anonymous comments. Because it would really keep my blood pressure down if assholes weren't allowed to come dump to incredibly stupid and irrelevant sentiments that they pulled out of some orifice in their nether regions on this very well-written and interesting blog.

My word verification is nezox. And that's about the sound I made when I read that stupid comment that actually posted TWICE because stupid people usually can't use technology either. (Note to anonymous: that's NOT what double-clicking is. DOH.)

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous, I feel the need to quote the inimitable Ludacris:

Heep heep, whoop whoop
Why you all in my ear
Talking a whole bunch of sh*t that I ain't tryin' to hear?
Get back motherf*cker you don't know me like that.......
Get back motherf*cker you don't know me like that!!!

Shakespeare he ain't, but damn, that's some profound sh*t.

Banning only anonymous comments won't work though, because one always could post under a fake name. Not that I know anyone who'd do that......

Anonymous said...

AND!!!

How dare Anonymous condescend and diminish you by calling you a "girl"?? You are a freakin' doctor, with a fantastic rack, and mortgage and car payments, who is older than I care to admit (seeing as how I'm 16 days older than you). You are, most definitely, a "woman". Long may you roar.

Anonymous said...

::hugs::

And to anonymous: :P

Anonymous said...

It is bad news. It's bad news that your dog came back. And now has to suffer living with miserable old you.

Anonymous said...

You force people who 'aren't sane enough to want their meds all the time' to take them? I'm guessing you live in America..

DK said...

Anonymous - that was a commentary on a technical point in a TV show. Read the context. I'm very, very hesitant in my own practice to use forced meds, and only in the very ill or when safety concerns are at stake. I'm happy to discuss this with you further if you'd like; send me an email (link is at the bottom of the page).

Bookmark and Share