Monday, July 07, 2008

Another one bites the dust

I am HOME. Call is OVER. Only 5 more intern calls to go.

Call was not bad. It was Mike and me tonight, and we're a good team. Which was so helpful, because I had some serious moments of "rhymes with Bluster Duck" tonight. People? People make me crazy. And it wasn't so much the patients tonight as much as it was, say, our NP who didn't bother to see the patient I'd asked her to and then left when her "shift" was over without actually telling anyone she hadn't seen the patient.

You know....I defended her for a long time, when she first started, and everyone else was all "she's horrible!" And there was a moment in there where she was starting to get better. And I said, oh, you know, there's a learning curve to this job, etc, etc, she's all anxious, we need to be empathetic, blah blah blah. You know what? She's just fucking incompetent. I'm so done. She needs to get her act together or just get the hell out of my way.

And then there was this whole fiasco on the child unit I can't even begin to describe. And I did my best to iron out the situation and get things taken care of, all the while speaking in soft, calm, soothing, dulcet tones. And I call downstairs at one point, and I say to Tyler, still in my low, syrupy, "fussy infant" voice, "Could you tube those papers up to me? Thank you, that'd be wonderful. Because I? I'm going to kick someone in the shins very, very soon."

Tyler. I do not know how we function in the 16 hours a day he's not there.

And he and Mike are a good combo. They play off each other and they're just funny together. Between the two of them, the evening ended up being downright enjoyable. And it was really nice, I have to say, because Mike? Totally understood the advantage of having me there, without actually taking advantage of having me there. Like, he saw two people in the ER, I did a direct admission and a clinic admit (also the ER patient the dumbass NP didn't see), we spent much of the last two hours of call trading pagers because one of ours would go off when we were on the phone so the other would answer it. It was just seamless, it was good teamwork, and it was wonderful. And then Benny came on at 10, and she's just generally delightful as well. All in all, not a bad night, and I got to leave at 10.

Maggie was excited that I came home. That's the best part of any call.

I'm on Saturday with Sparrow. Which is awesome, except, we have to actually find someone to take care of our dogs! But I think one of the interns has us covered.

Today was long, yo. I had nine new patients this morning when I walked on to the unit. And you know something? Nine acute psych patients? They're a lot to deal with. Really rather draining. But I actually have a reasonably pleasant bunch this go around. And possibly two ECT candidates.

I've got to go to bed. Because, I still have nine patients to deal with in the morning, it's 11:30, and oh, the new med students start tomorrow. Which could be awesome, but invariably adds work. I never really appreciated that in medical school, just how much more work med students create for the residents. Gosh, I thought we were so helpful...ah well. It was a useful delusion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kate- Just out of curiosity, what's the next step after the intern year? I know you have mentioned "second year" people at your job, but what's the difference between you and them right now? Then, after second year, then what for you? I guess what I am asking is, how long before you are on your own.

Oh, and I don't want to look younger!!! Nine more days until I am 30, and I still had someone tell me the other day they thought I was 18!!! When I was pregnant, dirty looks galore! Not so much now that I have a baby, I think they just assume she's not mine or something. I want to look my age!

Bookmark and Share