Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Oh - and!

Did y'all see this, about the psych patient in New York who DFO'd and died in the admissions office and everyone ignored her?

First let me say...this is disgusting. Horribly upsetting, and a complete disgrace to the public mental health system. In some ways it's understandable - note the difference between that and excusable - because psych patients can often be, um, overdramatic and eventually you get a little desensitized to that (except that it stopped being understandable when they falsified records). But it really is a terrible, terrible tragedy, and provides just another obstacle for those of us who work very hard to provide high quality mental health care to the indigent and under-resourced.

But then, let me also say this: I get into work at State Hospital this morning (my very last day!), and my new patient that came in last night is rolling on the floor, wailing, "You're just like those people in the TV! You're just like those people in the TV!! I'm gonna diiiiiiiiiiiiiiie!!!"

Not that I don't want my patients to be informed, but maybe we could turn on SpongeBob instead of Good Morning America once in a while, huh?

No comments:

Bookmark and Share