Sunday, May 25, 2008

And, the floodgates open...

::sigh:: So I'm on call. Again.

At one point around 11:30 this morning, I gave up screwing around on the computer and went up to the call room to take a nap. And in the hallway were two of my 11 year old patients, on these little scooter majigs (like the ones you used to scoot around on in gym class, but with handles. It's kind of hard to explain...) racing up and down the hallway. I stopped and talked to them and the nurse and was like, wow, how cool! And my one patient, Monkey, he tried to follow me into the call room. And he says, "what's that? Why's there a bed in it? Is this your room?" I said, no, it's a work room, but we have a bed here because sometimes we have to stay overnight. He says, "Do you live here?"

Ahh, Monkey. If you only knew the irony of that statement.

I said, well, sometimes.

So today, unlike Friday, has been suspiciously q-u-i-e-t. I've been surfing the ER census (T-system) all day, and until my last check about ten minutes ago, there was nary a psych patient in sight. I tried to do some real work this morning but just ended up goofing off (well, I did get one discharge summary done. Which only leaves, um, like eight). And then I went upstairs and tried to take a nap. Which is when the pager started going off a lot, of course. But I managed to drift in and out until about 2ish, by which time I was so hungry that I gave up and went and got lunch. And then I came down here, and ate, and read blogs, and was kind of excited about the possibility of no-hitter (we have a day or two like that every year), when I saw two suicidal patients on the T. One is very drunk and wants detox and has a blood pressure that's like 230/140. Um, nope, medicine, thank you very much! The other one is complaining of suicidal thinking and chest pain. Although not right now. You know, apparently he was when the officers tried to arrest him. For what I don't know, because he hadn't been worked up that far yet. And dude, he's 61. Shouldn't you stop getting in trouble by 61? I know 50 is the new 30, but still.

Anyway, now the seal is broken. We'll see how big the leak gets before the night is over.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share