Thursday, May 08, 2008

Love Thursday

Ohhh, today was so tiring. So, I inherited five patients from Mike, then acquired another one on Tuesday, to reach my cap of two adolescents and four kids. Today, I discharged two kids, another one's going tomorrow morning, and both my adolescents tomorrow afternoon. I'm a little worried about who's coming in their place.

One of my kids, I've been calling his mom for two days telling her we were discharging him today. I called her again today, she says, "I had no idea this was happening! I can't! I have to go to work!" Blah, blah, blah. I didn't tell her I also had to call Child and Family Services on her this afternoon because he told me about a whole bunch of violence going on in their home. I'm sending him home with her tomorrow morning. Sometimes, I hate my job....

...so, in honor of it being Thursday and all, here's five things I love.

5. That Thursday is really close to Friday. And I have the whole weekend off.

4. My med student. I have this great med student on adolescent right now. I rarely actually remember what his name is, so we're going to call him Blake. He's interesting. He's actually older than me, has sort of an interesting history. I always appreciate people who've taken circuitous paths to medicine, for the obvious reasons. His really heinous ties amuse me (he's trying to stick to the "kid friendly" or least intimidating ones, I think. But they're just ugly). He's also just very good. Like, he's not super adept at psychiatry yet (the poor misguided thing thought he was going to be a cancer surgeon. And then he discovered what that actually meant), but he's very good at those sort of intangible things. Like, he's really good with the kids. He's very unassuming, quiet, kind of a straight man but he's really quite funny. He tolerates me really well, which means he can probably but up with anyone. I'm trying to subtly convince him he wants to go into psychiatry, because I think he'd be good at it.

3. Now, you all know my affection for the Daily Coyote blog, and Maggie's long-lost cousin Charlie. I'm so pleased Shreve has become a Furminator convert. The following is plagiarized directly from her blog, right exactly here.

"In the past few weeks, I have gotten emails from many of you touting the wonder that is the "Furminator". I looked at this pet-grooming brush online, but even after your testimonials, I could not bring myself to spend $50 on a dog brush. Then, yet another person emailed me about this brush, and noted that it could be found for a discounted price online if one searched. I did, found a deal, and ordered it. The Furminator came today and WOW. It truly is amazing. I brushed out SO MUCH FUR it was shocking, and it was so much fun! Charlie loves it, too; he can't get enough. I then moved on to Eli, and filled A SHOEBOX with Eli's fur. I will be extra warm this winter - I'm going to knit myself a bodysuit from Charlie's wool and a pair of kitten mittens."

I will admit to being one of those emails. And I totally love that, a, Shreve is a knitter (who knew? But we should've figured), and b, that is completely and exactly what I plan to do with what I Furminate off of Maggie. One of the things I plan to do during all this free time they promise I'll have next year is take a spinning class, so I can make a Maggie scarf and nice Maggie socks.

2. My dog.


1. Y'all. Thanks for all the support and kind words over the last few days. You guys so totally rock.

1 comment:

Dr.VonB said...

And I KNOW you meant that you totally love, adore and miss the awesome fun medical student you had a week ago on the psychotic unit... the one who is now on medicine and crying herself to sleep at night... :)

Bookmark and Share