Sunday, June 07, 2009

Worst. Consult. Ever.

So I get this page...

Me: Hi, this is Dr. Kate, I'm returning a page?
Her: Yeah, hi, this is so-and-so med student, I was hoping you'd do a consult on my patient.
Me: What's her story?
Her: Well, she has a history of Crohn's disease, and is on prednisone, and four years ago when she was on prednisone, she became psychotic.
Me: Okay.
Her: So will you see her?
Me: Is she psychotic now?
Her: No.
Me: ...um...then there's not really anything for us to do.
Her: Well, also, four years ago she was discharged on Abilify, which she hasn't taken in about three and a half years. Should we restart her on this?
Me: Is she psychotic?
Her: No.
Me: Well, then let's hold off on the anti-psychotics.
Her: So my attending would like you to see her because he's worried about keeping her on the prednisone.
Me: Well, she's tolerating it. And not psychotic. So I'd say, if she needs it, keep doing what you're doing and call us back if she gets psychotic.
Her: Yeah. Okay. Thanks.
Me: Anytime.

Apparently, this whole exchange actually started with her paging Scott, my intern. Who told her she was paging the wrong person. And then added, "So, I'd start out by telling her you're a medical student. Because, otherwise? I don't see this going well..."

4 comments:

robin said...

HAHAHAHAHA!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh---and this med student will be a dr. someday

dumbass is not quite the right descriptive word.

is there one out there somewhere

enjoy carol

penguinshrink said...

Not the poor med student's fault - someone told her to make the call, and it's hard to say "no". The dumbass is the attending or resident who told her to call.

DK said...

Oh, no, totally not the med student's fault, which is why Scott warned her to tell me that first. This allowed me to navigate to the "No, we won't see her" approach, rather than, "Oh my God, are you *really* THAT stupid?!"

Bookmark and Share