Saturday, November 08, 2008

They call her out by her name

(Here's the reference, if you missed it. Love that song.)

So it's 1:30 in the morning and I'm just getting home from a lovely night out. Tyler texted us last night, and so Sparrow and I took their two extra tickets for the Black Crowes show in Raleigh tonight. It was us, Tyler, Mike, and two of their friends.

Wow, it was a great show. They had this group open for them, the Buffalo Killers (or, as I kept referring to them all night, the Buffalo Soldiers, the Buffalo Wings, the Buffalo Chickens...), who was decent enough. But man, the Crowes rocked it out, baby! I was sort of like, eh, okay, whatever when Tyler invited us, but wow. Chris Robinson does this silly little dance that's just way funnier in person. And they just jammed it the hell up, with these awesome guitar riffs and all this sort of call-and-answer guitar work, and dude, the drummer did this like, ten minute solo that just flat-out rocked (the rest of the band's all standin' around, drinking water, handed off their guitars to the roadies, the keyboard guy lit a cigarette and put his feet up...). There was one song that just seemed like it was NEVER GOING TO END, but it eventually evolved from this flowing freestyle guitar work into a different song (like, twenty minutes later. No exaggeration). They played like a two hour set with one encore. It was a "street show" at the Lincoln, so it was an outside stage. We stood around for five and a half hours (my feet are killing me) and drank overpriced beer and got a little clambaked from the incense (or maybe it was from the pot they were burning the incense to cover up). A good time was had by all.

I then got to drive Tyler's friend's big-ass Expedition home (ohh, it was sweet, that thing's a freakin' bus) because I was the sober one. And then we hit a bar downtown CH, and went to this fabulous burger place, and by then, all of us oldsters were ready to pack it in. It was a heck of a fun night, though. And Maggie gave me a good nasal frisking when I walked back in the door (I mean. really. I smelled like pot, Little Maxine, and hamburgers. She must think I had the most interesting night, ever).

And with that, y'all...it is way past my bedtime...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had a good time. You deserve it. Love that crow picture. Is that their emblem?

Bookmark and Share