Saturday, February 28, 2009

Little Red Choo-choo

Hawkeye: Tell me something, Sydney, has my little red choo-choo gone chugging around the bend?
Sydney: You just can't resist tossing around that psychoanalytical jargon, can you?

Have I mentioned that my absolute favorite psychiatrist ever isn't Freud, Klein, Jung, or Kernberg, but in fact Dr. Sydney Freedman from M*A*S*H? (I'm not quite sure what that says about me, but...) And I think one of my favorite episodes is one entitled Dear Sigmund, in which Dr. Freedman makes a visit and ultimately divulges that he lost a patient and is needing some reinforcement from the 4077 crew.

I don't think I ever realized just how hard it is to be the therapist. Y'all, it's exhausting.

Yesterday was a rough, rough day. In fact, it's been a bad week. I haven't been feeling well, and I've had some really difficult patient stuff going on. Which got acutely worse yesterday, really bad, really fast. I'm going to leave it at that for now, because I'm not sure how much I can safely discuss without breaching, well, something (ethics, confidentiality, etc, etc, etc), but, well, no, I'll leave it at this, actually: we often joke about how what most of our kids (and some of our adults) really need is a "parent-ectomy." But when that actually happens, it's never a good thing.

Oy.

Today, however, has been better. Because she's a goddess, Cleo both noticed I was circling the drain yesterday and offered to swap today's call. And I feel somewhat better than I did this morning. Still a little achey and bleh, but dinner is sitting fairly well. And I tried to be reasonably productive, which, I managed - I got all of my notes up to date some of which were (I'm ashamed to admit this) four months delinquent. Which, my therapy notes always end up being low priority because they don't actually say anything, because anyone in the hospital can access them, and frankly I don't think it's any of Cardiology's business what goes on in our therapy sessions. Anyhow, I'm totally up to date now. And I did a little bit of laundry, and flipped my mattress, and got caught up on some of the blogs I read. And, like I said, I'm less queasy than I started the day, so...we'll see how tomorrow goes. More laundry, some reading, a little grocery shopping, and hopefully a nice nap. I might even try to get to the gym, which I haven't been able to do since Monday...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! I too LOVE MASH and could look at it everyday even though I have seen the various episodes more than once.

Love Sidney too.

Enjoy Carol

Bookmark and Share