Thursday, February 12, 2009

Love/Hate Thursday

Such a day.

So I drove to the coast today, because someone more powerful in the university than I needed my plane. And I kinda like the drive anyway, and I REALLY like not being a mile above the ground in a tin can with wings. So I get there, and I notice some of the vans have this odd gold paint on the windows. And I think....well, now, THAT's weird...

Turns out someone (with think one of our patients clients consumers people we serve individuals, most likely) vandalized five of the eight cars in our fleet, as well as the door to the office. Had they stuck to spray painting just the glass, it would've been okay (that comes right off with paint thinner), but they painted the mirrors, the license plates, etc, and they broke one of the windshields and wrote "CUNT" on the hood of one of the cars (which, of the whole team, only the non-me doc is male, so that doesn't narrow down much who they were pissed at). But they were kind enough to leave the can of spray paint and several beer cans just lush with fingerprints and probably DNA. Brilliant career criminals I'm thinking they're not...

Still. When you work your ass off and really go out of your way to help people, which the members of my ACTT do on a daily basis, and at that a group of people who are already not the easiest people or the most accepting of help...something like this can be really discouraging. They spend every day tracking people down, getting them services, going into some unsavory places, taking them to do the things they need to do, and, again, not the easiest clientele to begin with! They pay for things out of pocket, they take phone calls in the middle of the night, and they frequently go beyond what they need to. They're a good bunch, who don't get paid nearly well enough, have crappy benefits, and often put themselves in potentially dangerous situations. So this really pisses me off, and makes me a little bit sad for humanity as a whole...

The day itself, though, wasn't bad. It was a gorgeous and glorious sunny, 73 degree, bluebird day on the coast. I made good time going in, the peer counselor and I had some good visits with people (AND she quit smoking - day 12. Go her!), and then I bugged out around 3. I went to the gym when I got back, lifted, got the machines I wanted, and had a good workout (although I'm wondering if I can impose a No Stinky People On The Machines On Either Side Of Me ban....). And then I came home, had some hummus, caught up on FB, and am going to bed now, which, that can't be bad. And I downloaded and listened to Incredibad, the newly released album from The Lonely Island (see several posts ago, when I linked the video for I'm on a Boat, which is Track 4, and still my favorite, I think). It was freakin' hysterical. A couple of the tracks...okay, well, several....are pretty juvenile or just outright weird, but, on the whole, damn funny stuff (and, what do you know? Carlos Santana does make a sparkling wine. And have a line of women's shoes. Who knew??).

Oh, and, fortunately, Peng called me tonight and reminded me that Dollhouse premiers tomorrow night (I'm having dinner at my Aunt and Uncle's, but, the DVR is standing by). It's got Faith (Eliza Dushku)! And Fred (Amy Acker)! And allegedly Wash (Alan Tudyk, whom I still adore from when he played Gerhardt in 28 Days)! And it's from Joss Whedon! If only Summer Glau weren't otherwise engaged, it would be the supernova of the Whedonverse...and maybe they could drop James Marsters in there (I always liked Spike WAY better than Angel, even though Angel was the one that got the spin-off. But David Boreanaz is doing much better for himself these days).

1 comment:

Barb Matijevich said...

My brother was an EMT at a fire-station in South Dallas. Routinely, there would be false alarms called in so the crew would leave the station and the callers would come and break into the firemen's cars.

My brother was honestly changed from this kind of shit. And he's not a fireman now.

Bookmark and Share