Friday, February 13, 2009

No penguins in Argentina

So my mom's boss and one of her coworkers went to Antarctica for a three week fabulous bottom of the world cruise (the coworker happens to be married to the boss, so it's not all scandalous like that, calm down). They're back, they had a fabulous time, her boss didn't fall through the ice on a snowmobile like when they went to Alaska, and they brought my mom back a set of salt and pepper shakers (for those who don't know, my mother collects salt and pepper shakers, and her collection is EPIC. Like, four bookcases worth of epic. With some really neat ones, from all over the world, antiques, etc) shaped like penguins. Which they bought in Argentina, where the boat docked.

For some reason, when my mother told me this the other day, I found it just hysterically funny. I finally stopped giggling long enough to speak, and the conversation went something like this....

Me: That's so funny! There aren't penguins in Argentina!!
Mom: No, I think there are....
Me: Nonsense. I think there's only penguins beneath the Antarctic Circle.


(Now, how I could've forgotten the plight of the poor Australian Fairy Penguins nine years ago in their wee little knitted jumpers, I don't know, but, I digress)

Mom: Well, parts of Argentina are pretty far South.
Me (still giggling): Noooooooo. He he...there are no penguins in Argentina!
Mom: Well, not anymore, because they're in my house!
Me (another fit of giggles): That's just hysterical. Penguins in Argentina....(sobering)...right? There really aren't penguins in Argentina, are there?
Mom: I...I really think there are.
Me: Wait, no, there can't be...let me Google.


And, of course, Argentina is the native land to at least four species of penguins. So, given my busy day and my late night (I had dinner with my aunt and uncle tonight, which was WONDERFUL, and went quite late) and early freakin' appointment with Gomer tomorrow, I leave you with a picture of my new favorite species, a native of Argentina, and the best-named bird ever...

...the Macaroni Penguin.

2 comments:

Lorna said...

We always have to remember that moms are ALWAYS right!

Anonymous said...

Chef and I rather prefer the Jackass Penguins. Then again, we used to live across the street from them...

Bookmark and Share