Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"I bet everyone's a great dancer without gravity."

So, this comment came from a discussion on my friend's Facebook page, about this very odd dream he had, which he described as a Bollywood-style extravaganza of everyone he'd ever met singing and dancing...on a spaceship.

I have no idea what Freud would say about that.

But, someone left the above comment in response, and gosh, I started thinking about that. You know, in a metaphoric sense. How much are we impeded by the things that weigh us down? How much do they define what we do? Many of us learn to dance within the confines of gravity, obviously, and there are some maneuvers that couldn't even be done without it (try to do a leap in space. G'head). Some people do better than others; some seem to transcend the laws of nature. But it's limiting, too, obviously, all that, being pulled towards the core of the Earth at 9.8 m/s/s. You know, and then there's the idea that life itself couldn't exist here if the planet didn't have exactly the gravitational pull that it does...how much do we need the things that hold us down? How much do they keep us grounded (as it were)?

Yeah, this really is the kind of shit that goes on in my head. You should hear the things that bounce around in there when I'm on the treadmill.....

So what's pulling you down?

(Yeah, it's entirely possible I'm being a little too esoteric about this. But it seems like a great metaphor, doesn't it?)

2 comments:

penguinshrink said...

Just to be nit-picky: 9.8m/(s^2).

Also, my verification word is "recon". Sweet!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm! What pulls me down?

Myself pulls me down, by "attacking" my very self-confident, independent attitude by "trying" to make me think I cannot "do it" ! ! !

Ok Dr. what do you think? It has to be a freebie cause Medicare doesn't cover this and besides they know I am nuts. Hehehe

BYA (because you asked)
Enjoy Carol

Bookmark and Share