Monday, April 27, 2009

Best response ever.

So I get called down to the ER to see this very cute little old lady with worsening dementia, who, fortunately for us (and her, because we have no geropsych beds right now, but we probably will tomorrow) also has a wide complex tachycardia. But, okay, I go down to consult, and know she's had an increase in auditory and visual hallucinations, and so we have the following exchange:

Me: Do you ever hear things that other people don't?

Cute old lady: Well, I hear this man singing in my ear. Only one person, and it's very faint.

Me: Oh, okay. Tell me, do you ever see things that don't make sense, or that maybe your husband doesn't see?

Cute old lady: Tomorrow.

(silence)

Me: Um...tomorrow?

Cute old lady: Yes. Honey, it's 2:00 in the morning. I'll tell you about it tomorrow.

I told her that was the best answer I'd ever gotten to that question. But I still made her tell me about the people she sees on her farm...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute ole ladies are always cute!

And "we" always see and hear other things people don't.

some call it experience---but - - - -

Laugh and enjoy
Carol

Anonymous said...

I loved working with elderly. They were so fun to talk to, but I was too small to be lifting them all over the place.

Julie Hoover said...

That totally made me smile!

Bookmark and Share