Sunday, April 05, 2009

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Ahhh, I do like a weekend.

Yesterday I didn't do much, frankly, which is a nice change. My knee was still sore, so Gomer and I decided it was best to reschedule to today. So mostly I sat around not doing much for a while (okay, I was reading), and then Peng and I went to a wine tasting. Which was delightful. Peng's one of a cast of regulars who, as she's been telling me for a while now, are hysterical. Certainly the rowdiest bunch of oenophiles I've met, ever. It was a very good time. With some very good wine. And then she and I went down the way to this little Italian place that had surprisingly authentic Chicago-style deep dish. A little cornmeal would've made it just about perfect. Ohh, gosh, that was a delightful find. Made me a little bit homesick again when I had the leftovers for lunch today...

All in all, it was nice - I had dinner with Ruthie on Friday when Peng was on call, and dinner with Peng last night. I like my officemates.

Oh, and the Tarheels won. Yay.

Today, I got up, spent some quality time with Mags and then Little Maxine (Sparrow was on call last night), went to the Starbucks and the Walgreens and then to the gym. Gomer and I had rescheduled for today, right? He cancelled on my this morning (things were hectic at his real job last night), and then recanted (well, maybe he wasn't feeling all that bad) and then we agreed that maybe Tuesday was better anyway (when I pointed out that I wouldn't be at all offended if he wanted to take today off after all). Which made it even funnier when I went to the gym at the same time I'd planned to go anyway and ran into him. We had a nice little chat, I went back to the elliptical and he went back to his workout, which...you know, I always suspect there's a weekly meeting where all the trainers sit around and come up with more ways for us to look stupid (seriously. Two weeks ago, about twenty minutes before he made me do sideways squats with a big heavy disc thing and then toss a medicine ball against the wall, I watched Gomer pushing another of his clients across the gym in an office chair). It's nice to know they save a little of the looking ridiculous for themselves, too.

I spent five more minutes on the elliptical today than I usually do (I'm still getting into elliptical shape - that thing is hard - and am trying to slowly push up my time and resistance), and think I figured out how I jacked up my knee last week. Well, okay, it hurt when I left the gym Thursday night, after a hard go at the treadmill and elliptical and the lifting workout that involved those sideways squat things again, and then I stepped out of bed later, and it caught, and I twisted it. But I think that I'm hyperextending it too much on the elliptical. Which I think is causing some general inflammation, but also some patellar tendonitis. Or maybe infrapatellar bursitis. I don't know, I'm a psychiatrist. Knees are a little beyond my purview these days...

Anyhow.

That five extra minutes added a good deal more stinky, but I went to the grocery store anyway. I'm sure the grocery people were thrilled. I bought the wrong sour cream and forgot like eight things, including the chicken I'd planned on making for dinner. I came home and did a shitload of dishes, some of which had gotten unacceptably gross (strangely, those were relatively new. Turns out this Spirutein stuff I've been drinking ferments really fast and then starts to grow all manner of weird stuff). I realized about halfway through that my plan to scale this giant mountain of dishes, which I washed by hand in really hot water, and then take a shower was ill-conceived about halfway through when I started running out of hot water....

Planning was not my strong suit today.

But I did manage to do all the dishes, and the laundry, and eventually I did even manage to shower. With hot water and everything. I also washed all the pieces of my espresso machine and its little accessories today, in an effort to cut back on my Starbucks consumption (we'll see how that goes....). I'd intended to make chicken and potatoes for dinner, but, see above, re: stupid grocery shopping moment, so I had a big baked potato with cheese and broccoli. Which...somewhere in there, I realized I wanted to actually bake the potato. And...I hadn't really done that in a while, so I wasn't quite sure I remembered how. Like, I usually do them on the grill or in the microwave. So I texted Peng, who knows about these things, is marrying Chef, and can locate her Joy of Cooking faster than I can (it's in a box somewhere, still). She helped me out, but in the meantime I found this website. Which cracked me up a little.

It was a yummy potato. But next time I might microwave it a little first...

3 comments:

Barb Matijevich said...

That website made me laugh out loud. I mean, a lot of work went into that! I'm about to click on the "How to Make Corn on the Cob" link next.

Robin said...

My microwave has a baked potato button. Which is nice because there is little waiting involved! 6 minutes to heaven! :-)

Julie Hoover said...

I cant tell you about all the crazy stuff my trainer makes me do...I think he just tries to see how much embarassment I can suffer through (quite more that I ever imagined apparently).

Bookmark and Share