Friday, April 03, 2009

Another of those moments...

...when I'm really quite proud to be an American.

The Iowa Supreme Court today ruled against a proposed ban on same-sex marriages (article here). I think this is a huge victory for American civil rights, especially given the rightward leanings of the Hawkeye state.

This is important stuff, you know?

Listen, I'm a straight white girl from the Midwest. No one cares enough about who I marry anymore to ban it or legislate it or even put up a fuss (except maybe my mom). Come to think of it, most of my family, I think, would just be grateful I actually GOT married, considering how far past my expiration date I've already gone. But it wasn't too long ago that it was illegal for me to marry or even date someone of a different race. Now, we all agree that's a stupid place for laws to be. I hope that the time course is even more swift with this issue. Right now, we're all fighting and up in everybody's business and putting up a fuss on both sides of the issue. But in ten, twenty, fifty years? I sincerely hope we'll be looking back at all this going, wait, why were we wasting our time on something so obvious?

There's always going to be people who object. There are many who still disapprove of interracial couples, of May-December couples, of couples who eat too much jam. Point is, you can always find someone who disapproves of what you're doing. That's fine; this is a free country. Feel free to voice your objections. We'll be sure to give them all the consideration they deserve.

But to those outside the courthouse praying for the court to ban same-sex marriages, consider this: maybe God heard you. Maybe He knows better than you, and maybe the answer is "no."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited about this too. I'm hoping to get invited to a nice gay wedding on the Maharishi compound. Now wouldn't that be exciting.

Anonymous said...

Actually, aren't a lot of shrinks and therapists against May-December relationships?

lol, word verification- crist

otter said...

Great post! Thanks for the support!

Bookmark and Share