Monday, April 20, 2009

Seriously. It's never boring in psychiatry.

Had a long day. Arduous. Bleh. But then...my last patient of the day comes in, right? And she's blind. Cool. Had her guide dog with her. Sweet, sweet big 90-lb-ish German Shepherd whom we'll call Misty. So I get in the room, and the patient says, do you mind if I let her out of her harness while she's "off duty"? I said, of course not. So we talk, and Misty sniffs, is appropriately respectful when things get heavy, and then gets sort of playful towards the end. And my attending and I are getting ready to walk out the door, and....I see that look on her face.

I know this look.

I say, "Misty...where do you think you're going?"

But by then? Misty? Down the hall. Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

A very comical chase ensues. Fortunately, we were running late, so most of the clinic had cleared out. And she just galloped and pranced and ran down the hallways, this way and that, with me trailing behind her and several other docs trying to head her off in various directions. I got a hold of her like four times, but she's solid, and powerful, and has four-wheel-drive, and so she just mowed me over. Finally, one of my fellow dog people caught her and I got a hold of her collar. We took her back to the room and let me tell you, the moment that harness went on, she was allll business.

I don't really think it's a lapse in training. I think she knew she was with kind souls who would permit her a bit of fun and enjoy it as much as she did.

It kind a looked like this...(Sorry I couldn't find the classic Benny Hill on YouTube...this isn't a bad recreation, though. Just imagine it in a psych clinic instead of a high school...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a very good seeing eye dog...

Anonymous said...

I have a friend whose brother does the "puppy training" for a working dog. She said Magnolia was wild as a March hare as a pup as well as being "hyper". ( is a Lab). Went on to second phase of traininng with her "person" who has serious MS and when in harness ALL BUSINESS and a wonderful doggie.

What Magnolia can do for her MS 16 yr old girl is phenomal ( sp) and so wonderful. Never believe same dog.

So you guys let her have her "run"---how nice---and especially since all's well that end's well.

Enjoy Carol

Tiny Tyrant said...

Ah, you left out yesterday on FB that she had her harness off.

Let's just hope the inner wild child, doesn't manage to get out of her harness on her own ever.

Bookmark and Share