Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Fun with pictures

Call it Wordless Tuesday. Except with words. Lots of 'em.

So Sparrow and I are on together tonight. Which, so very rocks.

(PS - did I mention that Sparrow had a birthday last week? I think I forgot. She had her first 29th birthday this past week. We went out for "Asian Fusion" - if several days later - and it was yummy. The company was impeccable, of course, as well...)

(Ruthie's birthday is today, also. I made an impromptu little banner on our door using Post-It notes.)

(But I digress.)

So Sparrow and I are here. And we had a lot of funny, funny stuff come across our paths last night. So we decided to take pictures (you'll notice that all the patient identifiers are conveniently missing...).

Shortly after I came on, a direct admission came from one of the community hospitals. I went down, signed her in, talked to her a bit, and then came back upstairs and looked through the thick envelope of material that the outside hospital sent with her.

I found about twenty pages of MARs (medication administration records), which was ridiculous because this woman is on exactly ONE medication. And of course, they sent a big stack of nursing notes.

Notably missing? A discharge summary. Or, say, a psych consult note. But in case you were worried, we got her post-endoscopy nursing notes, too.

Absolutely essential to good psychiatric care.

They also...seriously, I almost fell off my chair when I saw this. This is not a diagnosis.

The word is hypokalemia. I mean, really. They are just makin' shit up at this point.

You know you're in good hands when your doctors start making up diagnoses just for you. That's a sure sign that they really know what they're doing.

Also waiting for me when I came in was this hand-off note:

Oh, but, be sure to notice the patient's age.

It's the the Playskool Trenchcoat Mafia out there. They're just starting younger and younger these days. Sparrow tells me she got a report from a parent the other day that some three year old girl was "pole dancing". Really? A three year old taking off her clothes. Astonishing. That's highly unusual. Toddlers almost never like to run around naked.

And furthermore, pole dancing is not an innate talent, unless you're a surgeon (inside joke. Sorry...). So if you find your little one working the pole at Gymboree...you've got ask yourself where she could possibly have learned that behavior.

I'm just sayin'.

6 comments:

Tiny Tyrant said...

*snort* on the last picture.

OMG Too funny honey.

Hugs to you and Miss Mags and Little Maxie.

And where's my yarn for the music thing? ;-)

Julie Hoover said...

I love that they diagnosed someone with Hypopotassemia....is that the desire to be a hippopotamus??? then perhaps that would be normal for a 5 year old...

very, very funny...and snaps to the artist...

DK said...

So, allegedly, that last picture is drawn by a small-ish person whose mother works at Home Depot, and in this depiction, is selling a snow shovel during a spell of weather where these things are hard to come by. The teacher, of course, made the same assumption everyone else did, and confronted the mom about taking her kid to work. So they asked the kid, who was like, "Mommy sells snow shovels! See? People are happy, because they can buy them!"

(A likely story....)

That picture's been circulating on the internet for a while, but, it just seemed sort of fitting......

Anonymous said...

lol, Kate, you rock.

Barb Matijevich said...

Wow, given the naked factor of my kids while in Texas (where the weather is either "hotter than hell" or "Road Construction"), both of my kids should have been certifiable.

Good grief.

Anonymous said...

Hm! A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum-------

or

Kids say the darndest things!

or

SIGN OF THE TIMES

Enjoy Carol

Bookmark and Share