Monday, August 17, 2009

Right round

So I have another spinning lesson tomorrow. I'm getting better with the drop spindle, and am actually producing something that looks kinda like yarn. I've got a whole little ball of it, in fact. Which, frankly, makes me a bit giddy. It's still sort of inconsistent, but it's not all that bad (less so than Manos worsted, for those of you who know what that means). I tried to knit with it a little, but then it occurred to me that I don't know if we're done yet. Like, are we going to ply this week? I just don't know. But I'm pretty excited about it.

So for the fiberworkers out there, I pose you this question: Suppose I were to get a wheel. What do you have/like? What do you recommend? Are there any I should specifically avoid? Are there features that are more or less desirable? I have a friend who has two particular models she's selling (it's a long story how she ended up with two spare wheels), and I'll likely buy her Hitchhiker, but I'm willing to keep my options open.

For those of you who think the above paragraphs were written in some undecipherable code...sorry....

I did get up and go to the gym this morning. I'm counting it as a serious win, because I got to bed late and when I woke up this morning wanted nothing more than to sleep for another four hours (which I couldn't have done anyway, not if I wanted to keep my job), but I dragged my ass over there and did my thing. I didn't go all last week trying to rest my feet and my stupid plantar fascie, and as hard a time as I have dragging my sorry butt in there at quarter to dark, I find that I miss the gym when I don't go...

Work was....well, it was a Monday. I left my pager at home, so I had to borrow Rene's (she's on night float). I discharged FOUR PEOPLE from my team today, and have already picked up two brand new ones for tomorrow (fortunately for me, Sparrow caught what looks like the biggest train wreck). There was a lot of juggling and fire-squelching. I did a little postpartum group. I left around 6 after signing out two of my fires that were still smoldering a little to Scott and handing off Rene's pager to him.

But I did get to see robin at work today!!!! That was apparently quite a feat, because she's been working with us how long and this is the first time we've been at the big house at the same time...

Then I came home, did dishes, made spaghetti. And now I'm going to bed. My wild and crazy nightlife, folks.

And in totally unrelated news, it's still roachy in my apartment. I think we're looking at dropping a bomb on them soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Starting from the bottom up---
Get yourself at Lowe's or Home Depot

PIC Mouse Glue Boards. They are about 6" X 5" and ignore the directions on the back to catch a mouse--instead cut into small pieces about 1 1/2 wide by 5 across and put where there guys are. when they TOUCH IT --they aint' going anywhere. Would help till the bomb falls.

Eating, gymming, working---- sounds of life but

But knitting and spinning are the joys of life. However I cannot help with spinning wheel advice as I don't have one but I am sure Lorna can give you YARDS, GRAMS, OUNCES of advice.

sounds exciting.
Enjoy enjoy carol

Lorna said...

I know its hard to do upfront, but, invest in a good wheel as it will make a difference in the happiness and thus motivation to spin.

I have both the Schacht Ladybug and Lendrum DT.

I can spin anything on the Ladybug (granted I had it 2 months longer and have spun more on it at this point) - but, when I'm spinning a fiber new to me - I go right to the Ladybug.

The Lendrum has a HUGE plying bobbin that I have yet to fill with any 4 to 6 oz fiber that I've spun which is nice as you get one big hank instead of 1-1/2 hanks.

Both are portable, the bug with the way the handles are to carry, easily seat belts in a car, the Lendrum folds.

Check out the used spinning equip, schacht, lendrum (and other mfr's) groups on Rav- they always have good deals (that's where I got my bug) -

Whatever you decide to buy, TRY IT first if you can. Feel the glide when you treadle, see how easy/diff it is to put together, noise (any clacking) or smoothness of wheel going around. Metal vs plastic moving parts will make a diff in humidity, and need to be oiled, - I can always tell when both of my wheels need to be oiled - the treadling gets a little stiff or they 'click' driving me nuts (comparable to someone kicking the back of your chair at a movie) - LOL!

I sent you a link in facebook to a fiber fest and huge sale in NC - maybe there would be some options available.

Enjoy and get ready for a whole new addiction!

Barb Matijevich said...

Note how I CANNOT HEAR YOU about this new obsession with spinning. LALALALALALA. I can't hear you! No, really.

Can't.

Bookmark and Share