Friday, August 07, 2009

Breaking it down...

Thankfully it's Friday, because wow am I fragmented after this workday...

_______________
I didn't leave work until 7:45 today. I would've left earlier, but I returned a call to one of my patients, who wasn't surprised that I was still at the hospital. She'd called for two reasons - one, she was having this persistent hallucination of smelling something rotting. I said, well, okay, it's possible we need to push up the dose of your antipsychotic, but first, why don't you go see your PCP and make sure this is actually an hallucination, and not, say, a sinus infection.

Two, she said, was that she'd seen her GYN, who has this knowledge of psych meds because of X, and she recommended we try Y, which would possibly fix both her pain problem and address a psych issue (it was a very reasonable and interesting suggestion, by the way). When she's telling me this, she laughed and said, "I told her, 'how interesting. My gynecologist knows psychiatry and my psychiatrist knows gynecology.'" I agree, that's pretty funny.
_______________
By the way? I'm really much happier to be back doing inpatient psychiatry. I think that should tell me something.

Of note, however, even though I love my job, I wouldn't mind doing it a couple less hours per day...I'm just sayin'...
_______________
I'll admit it, I've become completely addicted to FarmTown on Facebook, which is a game where you create a little farm, and plant things, and sell things, and have livestock, and it's very cute.

On a related note, I'm worried that these 12- and 14-hour days are cutting into my Facebook time.
_______________
I'm a little worried about my proclivity for unavailable men. Not, like, married unavailable, just emotionally so. I have theories about this. Somehow, that doesn't seem to keep me from collecting them.
_______________
I picked up a patient this morning whose H&P said she was drinking "between 6-121 beers per day." We had fun with that. And it was clearly a typo, but we learn not to assume in this business. We have another guy on the unit who was taking roughly the equivalent of 120 tablets (not milligrams - tablets) of valium per day. For reals. We think.
_______________
I got all excited when I came home and checked my email, because I had a message offering me a "free gift" from Filatura Di Crossi yarns, which are Italian and typically lovely, or at least interesting. It turned out to be a pattern.

I think it's overpriced.
_______________
I have this clinic patient who's being extremely difficult right now. So I was in Mikaela and Scott's office today, generally ranting about how it was already 3:30 and I still hadn't eaten lunch and I had this patient to deal with and these three very borderline-y patients on my service and blah, blah, blah, and Scott says to me, "Well, now, some people think that you attract and collect specific things for a reason. And we do know what your professional interests are, now, don't we?" (This conversation, of course, followed one about dissociative disorders, which are totally my cup of tea and also very highly comorbid with borderline personality organization/disorder.)

I kinda hate it when he calls me out on stuff like that. I'm also typically really impressed by it.
_______________
Spinning class starts Tuesday!! Not the kind with the bike, the kind with the wheel. And wool. And happiness.
_______________
I'm working this weekend. With Peng, although we won't be covering the same units. And also with Dr. Jabba, who'll be my attending (I'm pleased with that). It's both Peng and my first weekend of coverage. It should be interesting.
_______________
My neighbor is outside revving his engine incessantly. I'm a little annoyed by this, because I'm going to want to be asleep soon. In related news, the new people in apartment D, with whom I share a common wall, are REALLY FREAKIN' LOUD. And I blame them for the roaches.
_______________
On the roach-y front, I found like a dozen of them in the kitchen tonight. Mostly these teeny-tiny little ones who are barely bigger than a fruit fly. A couple were bigger. I also found a really big cricket. I squished them all, and then found a collection of roaches hiding in the corner of my counter under the cutting boards, which I promptly stamped out. The exterminator came today, and is allegedly coming every week for the next few weeks. In the interim, you can call me Dr. Kate, Slayer of Roaches.
_______________
I didn't make it to the gym this morning, and am a little disappointed with myself, although, it's fine. Instead I laid in the dark for 30 minutes and ruminated and made myself anxious. But I'll go tomorrow. In the afternoon, because I'm going to still get up at 5:30 tomorrow to go in and round.
_______________
I'm really, really, really tired...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it when you blog like this- with the lines. I might try it. 6-121 beers, ha ha.

Anonymous said...

My cup runeth over while reading your blog of many topics. Yeah!

You have roaches and we have spiders. Did you know there is a product called Rat and Mouse Glue Boards. It is actually very STICKY cardboard and you can cut a piece like an index card and put it where needed. The little guys come along and GET STUCK. It costs just a couple of $$ and works very well.

Medical stories----interesting---

But yarn stories more interesting.

Have a nice weekend---and
Enjoy Carol

Bookmark and Share