Saturday, November 24, 2007

Insisting that the world keep turning our way

(If you missed the reference, click here. And be ashamed of yourself! That's, like, the ultimate road trip classic.)

So I'm in Charleston. The one in West Virginia. There's two out here, you know. Allegedly that confuses a lot of northerners, or so I'm told. I was hoping to get all the way to Beckley, WV, but, I got kind of a late start, and you know, that extra hour seemed like it was going to be a lot longer tonight than it will be tomorrow...and it's still a mere 5 hours to home, now, so hey.

I'm in the Hampton Inn. I've only stayed at this chain once before, when I went down to NC to look for apartments. On my way home, I was going to stop for the evening, and then decided, nah, I'll just keep going, but as long as I'm off the highway, I should get gas. And I started filling up my tank, and the nozzle promptly fell out of the gas tank and danced around a little until it shut off, soaking me with gasoline from about mid-thigh down in the process. Fortunately, I was travelling, so I had a spare pair of pants right on hand. I threw the old ones out in the gas station restroom, but figured I still ought to get to the nearest possible shower and decontaminate (did you ever see that episode of M*A*S*H where Klinger threatens to immolate himself, and then Colonel Potter realizes he just has water in the gas can, and so while he's inside "negotiating" with Max, Radar switches it out for a real gas can, and Max walks back out, all dramatic, and pours this gasoline over his head, and realizes the switch, and says, "Hey! Wait a minute! Somebody put gasoline in my gasoline!", and then runs flailing into the nurses' shower screaming "Stand back! Stay away from me with that cigarette! Nobody light a match!!"? I felt a little like that...). And, the Hampton Inn just happened to be behind the gas station. And it was one of the nicest places I've stayed, I have to say. The desk agent even upgraded me to a suite after I told her about the gasoline incident (I figured I ought to explain the smell as well as my immediate inquiry about laundry facilities). And the bed was insanely comfy. This room is equally nice.



Fancy. And under $100. If only there was room service, I might just move in.

The rooms across the hall, however, are still being renovated with the carpet all ripped up and the doors off their hinges and mattresses still in bags strewn all over. So it's a little bit of a war zone outside my door, and the place sort of smells like paint. But the rooms over here are, like, all new and shiny.

I'm really tired, in case you missed that. I'm not sure I actually have anything very profound to say tonight, actually. So maybe I'll go investigate the insane comfyness of that bed...

No comments:

Bookmark and Share