Thursday, November 29, 2007

q3

Egh, so I'm on call again tonight.

Last night, for some reason I was thinking about this call I had in I think January or February of my OB internship. We used to do these horrible q2 weekends - so, I'd get there on Friday morning at, like, 4:45 or 5, be up most of the night, leave at noon or one on Saturday, then be back at 6am on Sunday, be up most of the night again, and leave at noon or 1 on Monday. I'd typically have two of those weekends in a month, then have one weekend where I'd be on Saturday, then one weekend off. It was awful. But anyway, during one of those q2 weekends, I had a really rough night on Friday. Didn't sleep at all, had a couple of hectic deliveries, and then was expected to do a C-Section the Saturday morning when I could barely still talk. So I left I think around 11 or noon, and it was snowing. A lot. But I couldn't care less about anything but hugging my dog and going to bed. And what was awfully nice, I got home, and one of my neighbors had already shoveled my driveway.

Aww.

So Mags and I napped, hard, and I woke up at like 4 or so all deliriously fresh-woke, and realized that, a, it had snowed another two feet, and b, on top of that, they'd plowed my street and plowed me in, so I had a pile of snow at the foot of my driveway that was almost as tall as me. Great. I went out, and shoveled off the top two or three feet, and then decided I was too damn tired and didn't really care. So I put the Jeep into four wheel drive and just backed over the pile of snow at the end of the driveway again and again until it was flat enough that I could get over it again in the morning. And then I went back to bed.

Yeah, I don't know why I felt it necessary to share that story with you just now, either, really...

So can I just say, women? Are crazy.

The women's unit has been an adventure, for sure. I have to go to court today to testify that my one patient needs to stay despite the fact that she wants to leave. And one of my other patients is threatening to sue me. And then, I'm walking down the hall, right, and this very loud, vulgar woman who's apparently pulled all of her hair out is talking to the tech. And the patient makes some innocuous comment about me, and so the tech says, "Isn't that the woman who you were saying earlier was really pretty?" Which, aw, that was nice of her to bring that up...if, it turns out, somewhat misguided. Because the patient says, "Yeah, she's real pretty. She also has the biggest ass I've ever seen in my life."

::sigh::

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The women will ALL threaten to sue you at some point! The residence I ran was for schizophrenic and bipolar females, I got threatened with being sued at least once a day:) never happend though.
WHY did you choose this field? Hacking off one of your limbs with a butter knife wouldn't have been enough torture for you???

Anonymous said...

Dude, otter, calm down. If you don't like it, leave. Let the rest of us fools find our own way!

Anonymous said...

penguinshrink -
I was teasing. I loved working with my clients. Seriously.

otter

Bookmark and Share