Monday, November 05, 2007

Well, it was a nice idea...

So I agree to do this daily posting thing, right? Only to discover last night that I can't sign in to Blogger from the hospital. Don't know why, just can't. Seriously, I tried like six different computers.

Argh.

So I could, technically, cheat and backdate my post so it looked like I wrote it yesterday, but I, I am not a cheaty-head, and so I'm going to just go forward and try to plan better for the days when I'm on call.

Call was actually quite nice last night. I spent most of my evening fretting about my patient in the stroke unit and chasing her blood pressures and freaking out at her heart rhythm on the monitor (only to call the Cardiology fellow and have him say, "Pah, PVCs. That wouldn't worry me at all." Which he said in a rather friendly sort of way, or I'd have muttered something nasty under my breath about Cardiologists. But this one is fairly nice, and has endeared himself to me in the past, and I'm pretty sure he was just trying to reassure me that she wasn't going to flip into v-tach and DIE in the next five minutes). But then I got to bed around 10 or 10:30, woke up a couple of times to roll over, call the stroke unit and pester the nurse about how my patient was, and then go back to sleep until 6:30, when I finally got up and was like, wow, what a great call that was.

And then we got a new attending today.

Now, I've mentioned that I'm not overly crazy about my new team. But our attendings over the past two weeks have been really pretty cool, which I've greatly appreciated. This one? This one is a strange, strange little man.

He came on all blustery and puffed up like a surgeon this morning. And then he calmed down a little, and got a little bit more comfortable with us, and then he started doing things like taking extensive psychiatric histories on our patients for no good reason (sometimes it's warranted. Sometimes it's just annoying). I was like, you do remember that you're a neurologist, right?

Bleh.

So we'll see how it goes. If nothing else, it's twelve days, and three calls, to go. And, the strange little man could turn out to be amusing when I'm better rested and less likely to feel threatened by his insinuations that I'm a moron because I can't read an EEG or I lump MRIs into the categories of either "that's probably fine" and "this one looks funny."

I'm a psychiatrist, dude. And the real point of this month? Learning when to call a neurologist.

But in the meantime, to make up for my lack of posting yesterday, here is a gratuitous cute picture of my niece, Annalise:
She's a banana. Ha! And five months old this week. And one of the cutest children in existence, all of whom seem to be somehow related to me. And by "related" I mean she's my cousin's kid, who isn't actually my cousin but we grew up together and I always called her parents Aunt and Uncle, and you know how Greek relatives don't actually have share genes with you. In the coming month I also have other gratuitous cuteness planned featuring probably more of her as well as my other friends' children, all of whom have been claimed as my nieces and nephews and can expect to be spoiled accordingly. That's just how it works.

2 comments:

Barb Matijevich said...

Dude.

You just better claim my children as your.. cousins or something. Because everyone knows (or they know I will hit them with a hammer) that my children are the cutest, smartest and most incredibly winsome children ever spawned.

Dude.

PS: My verification word was "ackgorfa" which, I think, is a variation of agoraphobia and therefore, very apt indeed.

Anonymous said...

Ok, the banana is cute enough to make even me have to comment. That is one adorable kid.

Bookmark and Share