Saturday, November 17, 2007

$7000 per night and there isn't even free wireless

So, someone, possibly me, although I may never admit to it, had the utterly brilliant idea of driving back to Chicago when she was post-call. Now, admittedly, I did get some sleep last night. And I managed to leave about 1 pm, and I had a lot of loud music to accompany me, and I just kept driving and driving, possibly out of sheer inertia. So I'd more or less decided to stay in Morehead, KY. But then I inadvertently passed up Morehead, KY. And by this point, I was finally actually tired (I'd been doing reasonably well up until then) and decided, okay, that's it, I'm staying in Lexington. I was bound and determined to not pass up Lexington, which I've done twice now while driving from NC to Chicago. So I found Lexington and I pulled into the first hotel I saw, gleaming like a bright beacon of respite in the dark night.

Now, I should've known this was a bad idea when I pulled up and there was a Porche parked out front. And a bellhop (he wasn't parked out front, I'm referring more to his mere existence). And a coat check. But, I proceeded to the desk and asked for a room. And I found it a little peculiar that she didn't mention how much I'd be spending on this evening of gleaming respite. But I figured, well, okay, because I never remembered the Embassy Suites being a "luxury" hotel, per se. I figured it was probably more expensive than the Red Roof Inn, maybe a bit more than the Courtyard, but not astronomical. So in what can only be described as a profound and ridiculous lapse of judgement that clearly must be the result of my addled, post-call exhaustion, I handed over my credit card.

And she still didn't tell me the price. It wasn't until I walked into the room and looked at the rate on the back of the door that I nearly passed out.

Did I mention I'm in fucking Lexington, Kentucky? Who in the hell wants to pay nearly that much to stay in Lexington, Kentucky, period?

And then I can't log in to the wireless network, right? So I call the front desk. And they're like, oh, there's a $10/24h charge for that.

Of course there is.

But at this point, hell, it's a drop in the bucket. I'm already broke and can't afford this anyway, so who cares?

Where is my sugar daddy? Why am I not a golddigger? Isn't there some rich widow out there who'd like to adopt me?
And have I mentioned that I now definitively hate the entire state of Kentucky. For far more reasons than its overpriced hotels.


Oy.

I'm really, really tired, though. And I still smell like the hospital.

My last night on Neuro went pretty well, though. I got some sleep, I got three easy admissions, and prior to those I had discharged my whole patient load, including finally getting the patient who is trying to die out of the hospital and into hospice (not that it didn't happen without a lot of fuss and fury). My patient who had the stroke? Loved the hat. She got so excited when I gave it to her, and swiped it up and stuck it on her head and was still wearing it when she left. Turns out she's a knitter, too, but is stuck at the scarf stage and was duly impressed that I could even make a hat. She then proceeded to tell anyone who came within listening distance that I'd made it for her. Too cute.

And the drive went well. I made really good time, even if I ended up grossly overpaying for my stupid hotel. Seriously. I think my night in this hotel is costing more than Maggie's whole week at the boarder. And, remember when I decided not to bring her along, because then I wouldn't have to worry about stopping at a pet-friendly hotel? ::sigh:: I miss my dog even more, now.

Alright. I need to go to bed. I'd better sleep like a damn NyQuill commercial tonight, is alls I'm saying.

Oh, and to answer the comments from the last post - 1) I'm planning on coming to knitting on Tuesday - I won't make it to IL in time for this Sunday's group, and I'm leaving next Saturday, so Tuesday it is. Which is a shame, because I'd love to hang out in the new locale. 2) I managed to get Thanksgiving off because a, we have 14 interns, and b, everyone wanted Christmas. 3) No, driving, yes, and of course I'll miss you!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share