Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"For someone who hates psychology, she sure has a lot of it."

It's one of my favorite quotes from the pilot episode of Bones, which is on tonight. And it's so true. I'd forgotten what a grumpy, cocky "cop" Booth was in the pilot. I'm glad he got over it. And I really like that Booth is all angsty, thoughtful, pining for a woman he can't have, again, except he has so much more depth in his thoughtful pining angst than Angel ever did. And Boreanaz is even cuter in the daylight.

Today was long again. Not quite as stressful, partly because I'd planned on going to SNB tonight at the local Borders, and the dog sitter came during the day. Needless to say, I didn't make it to knitting. I only left two patients of mine on our service, but, we're admitting tonight. I, truly, was done with my work at 2pm. But I left after 7. Because there was rounding and then this and then that and oyyy. And then one of my patients got sicker. So I stuck around for another hour fussing so Mike wouldn't have to. And I tied up his patient into a neat little package for discharge. It was a favor but you survive this life on favors-both the ones you get, and the ones you give. And no, I don't expect him to stay nearly this late when, starting next week, I'm the call girl du jour. Although....okay, maybe I will expect him to reciprocate on the post-call coffee I'm bringing him in the morning....

Because there is simply nothing better than a hot post-call beverage of choice from outside the hospital. It's that warm, little comforting cup of hope that the free world still exists somewhere outside the sterile and stagnant confines. Okay...there is one thing better...the post-call nap. Preferably a post-call nap with a warm dog or some other snuggly warm mammal.

I'm babbling again. I have a really sick patient I spent of a lot of today fussing over. I'm still really tired. Oy....I'm going to turn off House, which is now on because Bones got all solved and done with, and go to bed. But, after this:

"Treating illness is why we became doctors. Treating people is what makes most doctors miserable." It's a quite from tonight's House which more or less illustrates why I don't usually watch House. But....I will give him a tremendous amount of credit for this one:

"It's five o'clock. I'm going home."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I may not be an MD, but I deal with patients and their illnesses every day. I love treating the illness, and I love treating a scared patient. Scared I can fix, mean or stupid can't be fixed. I'll take the scared ones. Mean or stupid will be medicated until I feel better:)

Barb Matijevich said...

I HAD a thought. No, I really did, which is why I hit the comment button. But I've just sat here for five straight minutes trying to remember it and watching my cursor blink randomly and now I seriously must go to bed.

I blaming the paint fumes.

Sarah said...

Awww, I like House. Even though nobody could act like that in real life and keep their jobs, or indeed, keep out of prison.

Bookmark and Share