Thursday, January 03, 2008

What am I, a med student?

So, just this morning, I was thinking, wow. I'm exhausted. And it occurred to me that I used to have it much rougher, really. Like, when I was a third year on surgery. I worked such longer hours then. More things rolled downhill at me then. Well, maybe or maybe not...things rolled downhill, in spades, but I didn't have nearly the responsibility to deal with them as I do now.

Today was long. In an epic sense. I had too many patients. We had a new attending who is looking to impress the department chair, who's also rounding with us, of course. I actually went to my psych lecture. I had a very nice, very sick gal who got sicker and sicker and sicker and I finally appealed to the ICU team, who took her off our service before she crumped. We rounded three times today. And there's all this discussion about what the point of the team should be and what's expected of us and for us and yada yada. The attending hovered. Honestly, it was kind of fun, the whole, running around being a doctor part. But it was exhausting.

And then, I get home, right, finally, at a quarter to EIGHT tonight, and my pager goes off. And it's my upper level, who starts tomorrow, and she's all full of muss and fuss about about what the point of the team should be and what's expected of us and for us and yada yada. And oh, by the way, can you be ready a half hour earlier so you can round with me before you round with the attending?

Um....

Well....

Honestly, I approve of that logic. But it's a giant pain in the ass for me and Mike.

Not to mention, I have to give a presentation tomorrow. On Ranson's Criteria. I guess I'd better go figure out what those are, again....

1 comment:

Barb Matijevich said...

Um. So I'm guessing you're not taking off to celebrate my ten year anniversary?

Just kidding. Hang in there!

Bookmark and Share