Monday, January 21, 2008

Nap, interrupted

Oh, I was having such a nice nap until Mike called and woke me up. But, whatever, if he wants to be all "responsible" and find out about the patients he has to see in the morning, fine. And then he starts telling me...he had his first medicine call at State Hospital this weekend. He hasn't done the medicine service yet, so this was a little bit of a trial by fire thing anyway. But I assured him, dude, so not anything to stress about. Saturdays are slow at SH, oh my gosh I got so much knitting done last month, really, you'll be fine. So he tells me that he ran all day. First thing when he gets there, he has to transfer someone out to a real hospital. Then he has an admission. They paged him all day long for all manner of things. And - are you ready for this? He had a code.

PenguinShrink and I had a multitude of Medical Stats, which are a step down from calling a real code. We still ran to them. They still brought the crash cart. And usually it meant that someone had DFO'd (done fell out. They do that in the South). And occasionally we had to call an ambulance. But I don't think they've had a real Code Blue called at State Hospital in at least a year.

No, really. Piece of cake. I got so much knitting done last month.....

My call yesterday was not nearly so bad. We had four admissions, no one was super sick. I spent a lot of time coordinating stuff and had a couple of weird outside calls. But on the whole, it was a fairly chilled out day. Two down, five to go.

I talked to my friend Bianca back home today. You remember her as the mother of my nephew Basil. She just started repping for a line of really wonderful children's books called Barefoot Books. It's a grassroots company started by two women from Texas who abandoned the corporate life and started up something they hoped would make a difference. They've got stories from all over the world and they're just beautifully illustrated. So all of you folks-with-kids type people, or you other people who might know some kids who like presents, should go check it out.

And then my best friend emailed me this. This is a cute puppy.




Also gives me a better perspective on our half an inch of snow. Although it's freakin' cold down here in NC. It was 17 degrees today when I left the hospital! Brr-rrr! I mean, okay, back home that'd be pretty warm right now, but we're not set up for the cold down here like they are up north!

Alright, I think it's time for me to meander towards my bed. Because I have to go back to the hospital in the morning. As always. Wow, I'm really tired. Kind of in general.

And don't worry, Paige, I'll post about my tat by the end of the week.

4 comments:

Tiny Tyrant said...

I got the yarn chickie.

Tat, what tat? Do tell.

I have two.

Paige said...

DFo'ed. I love that, because that is what we say to mean we were highly amused--we "fell out" laughing. I never thought about how it does not make sense before.

I probably get it from my Dad, who used to rant about me sleeping in late because I had "laid out" all nite. WTF does that mean? To me, laying out, meant getting a tan. To him, it meant Stayed out partying, evidently. Of course, he is from the South too, so I guess we should not be surprised

Sarah said...

17. Don't be a sissy. Have you forgotten what it's like to be a Chicagoan already?

Barb Matijevich said...

I wish I could tell you how hard I laughed at this dog. It's so SO Scout. Only maybe there would be some yellow snow, too. Because the dog has some bladder issues.

Bookmark and Share