Sunday, January 06, 2008

Me siento en la necisitad por la velocidad

I'm watching Top Gun. On cable. In Spanish.

I don't so much speak Spanish.

That in and of itself isn't entirely peculiar - I occasionally watch some of my DVDs with the Spanish tracks on (and usually with the English subtitles). Because I do keep trying to learn Spanish. But this is cracking me the hell up. Like, things that aren't actually meant to be funny are making me cackle out loud. Part of it is the two hours of horrible, horrible sleep I got last night. Part of it is that I understand enough Spanish to understand how poorly some idioms translate on Telefutura (i.e., Goose says, when Charlie asks what they were doing un metre y medio from the MIG, "giving them the bird." Spanish Goose says something closer to "throwing a bird at them." How does one not crack up at that?). Part of it is how much I simultaneously love this movie and abhor Tom Cruise (no, I'm not entirely certain why that last piece contributes to all the giggling, but, it does). And he still looks like a rodent. Rick Rossovich looks equally delicious all oiled up with his shirt off in Spanish, though. And I never have been able to figure out why exactly Kelly McGillis is a "consultant" at Top Gun, in any language.

Does it surprise anyone else, as a total aside, that Katie Holmes has a new movie coming out? With Diane Keaton and Queen Latifah. It actually looks kind of funny in that over the top goofy, First Wives' Club kind of way. I'm just amazed he's letting her work. And all her hair seems to have grown back.

I'm so tired. Maybe I'll have something useful to say later...

No comments:

Bookmark and Share