Sunday, January 13, 2008

Wired

I have had way too much caffeine today.

But at least I've been productive. I left the hospital, went and picked up the Maggie, and then we stopped at Starbucks. I came home, loaded the dishwasher, swore at the Treo for a while, and then gave up and went to Circuit City, where I hemmed and hawed and was very indecisive for a very long time about what navigator to get. Then I went to the grocery store, stopped and got lunch, came home, took the trash out, swore at the Treo some more, and now, I'm babbling on here. Good times.

Someone said to me, back when I got the VZNavigator on my phone, if you get the navigator, you'll never learn your way around. I said, nonsense. I'll just not get as lost when I do get lost. But I'll know the town just as quickly. It'll be fine.

Now I say, alright, fine, shut up.

I lasted three days, and one of those days I was on call. I got so rip-roaring lost on Friday coming back from lunch downtown that it was ridiculous. Especially considering there was another physician with me, who also works there, who didn't know where the hell we were, either. And "downtown" is neither that big nor that far from the hospital. For all the IQ points in that car on Friday, I'm just sayin'. But alas, no. The only reason we didn't get lost on the way to lunch was because I was following Mike, who, a, gets out more than I do so he knows his way around "out" better than I, and 2, lives four blocks from the restaurant, so, he really ought to know where it is.

So, adding to the gadgetopolous in which I live, came the TomTom.

There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth over this vs the Magellan. Because I can talk to the Magellan. And the sales guy thought it was easier to use overall. But I couldn't get into the interface, and I really like the look of the TomTom maps. And I got the stripped down version, because I concluded that was really all I needed. But, like, it couldn't find the grocery store. So I ended up googling the Fresh Market on my Treo and then entering the address into the TomTom and feeling a little like the bionic woman. Especially now that I've taken to wearing both my phone and my pager on my hip (because I'm not leaving anything as expensive as the Treo in the pocket of my labcoat). I'm wired for sound, baby.

And I had immediate buyer's remorse as soon as I took the TomTom out of the package. D'oh, I should've gotten the Magellan! Except that this was all triggered by my inability to find the Fresh Market, and who's to say that that Magellan would've been able to find it, either?

Once I gave it the address, though, it did find it. And I fulfilled what's become my Sunday routine...go to the Fresh Market when it opens, buy produce and yogurt and other random (usually impulsive) things, then go to the Char-Grill next door, and get a very yummy burger for me with mustard and onions and a plain cheeseburger for the pup. Today's burger was especially good, and they have the best fries in town. I also made three particularly good finds at the FM. One was vanilla chai, which has become my new addiction at the hospital coffee shop. I also discovered that my new favorite wine also comes in a red, and the other...oh my gosh....I was in the cheese section, getting shredded Parmesan to go with the salad fixin's, and I saw this little half-pint deli container with a really white, softer looking shredded cheese, and I thought, huh, I wonder what kind of Parmesan that is....but it wasn't. It was...are you ready for it? Mizithra! Which is this dry, salty Greek cheese that I could live on. No, really, a little butter and some Mizithra on pasta is the best thing going. It's the food of the gods, I'm telling you, Athena herself invented that dish. It has to be new this week, because I look for it pretty much every time I go past their cheese counter. And there it was! I let out an audible gasp in the middle of the cheese section this morning when I discovered it. There may even have been a Mizithra dance. I'm telling you, this is exciting news. Especially after having conquered the TomTom to get there in the first place.

If I could figure out how to sync the effing Treo, by the way, I'd show you a picture of the TomTom taken with the Treo. Because I thought that was funny. But, alas, I still can't get the laptop to talk to the phone. It was a fluke, one-time deal, apparently. At least it worked long enough for me to load a couple good pictures of my dog onto the phone, so I could show her off at lunch Friday.

Technology is my friend...

Lunch, as an aside, was very nice though. Sarah took Mike and me (Betsy was post-call) out for Thai food to celebrate our surviving the past two weeks (the attendings rotate off service after two weeks, so we'll have a new attending tomorrow. I'm hoping this mellows Betsy out, but, none of us are optimistic). It was very pleasant. The food was excellent, we had a very good time, it was very laid back, and I still left early. Very nice. Plus, Sarah and I have intentions for a doggie play date shortly. She has two dogs, one who she picked up at the roadside after he got hit by a car - a German Shepherd who's probably about twice Maggie's size - and a Leonberger she rescued from the shelter who was so little when she brought him home that he used to sleep in the cats' bed...he's now close to 200 lbs, and he's not done growing. He gets his head stuck in the cat bed now because he doesn't realize he doesn't fit there anymore. He barely fits in her car. I can't wait to meet this big furry mountain.

Those two are going to terrify Maggie, though. She likes cats and little dogs. Unlike my old dog, Wolfie, who was this ninety pound Husky-Akita mix and had a heartbreaking, pining crush on the 125-lb older-than-God German Shepherd next door, Bob. Wolf would run over to the fence when Bob was out and just watch him, awed, tail wagging like crazy. And then he'd look over his shoulder at me all excited, like, "It's Bob! Do you see? Do you see?? Oh, Kate, it's Bob, it's Bob!!" But he'd never bark, and he never dared actually approach Bob, who, incidentally, was this very sweet, toothless, grumpy-old-man kind of dog. No, my dog was a groupie.

Bob died shortly after Wolfie did. And then the big mean old Rottie they had got stomach cancer or something (I told my neighbor, it was probably someone he ate), and he was put down. So shortly after Mags arrived, they got this very obnoxious pit bull puppy. Maggie and Kedzie, my roommate's dog (who's like 13 now or something and is a TOTAL grumpy old man) were both sort of like, what the hell did you bring him here for?

The best Wolf story, ever, though, was when one day we were out for a walk. And these six little rat dogs come tearing out of the house down the block, like, in formation, barking and snapping and squealing and they start circling Wolf, nipping at him, barking, huffing, growling. And Wolfie, bless his little poochy heart, stops, and looks down at these little knee-high (to him) annoyances with this quizzical look on his face. And then he calmly looks up at me, completely baffled, like, "Dude. Really. What the hell are these things?" And he kind of watches them for a minute (in contrast to his owner, who's flailing about yelling "Get out of here! Go! Go! Stupid little shit dogs, get!") and then looks at me again like, "These things are stupid, and noisy. Can I eat one?" Fortunately, their owner happened to notice about then that they were missing and called them back into the house. And he - I'm so not kidding - watched them go back into the house, looked at me, shook his head, and then started back down the road towards our house. I totally would've let him eat one.
That's my Wolfie. He was such a good boy.

Well, Mags and I are going to go spend some quality time napping, and then there more dishes to be done and laundry as well and I still have two discharge summaries to write up. Mi vida loca...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, busy gal! I love the dog stories:)

Bookmark and Share