Monday, February 18, 2008

"It's the recipes you create yourself that are the best"

It's what Catherine Zeta-Jones' therapist says to her in the movie I watched last night, No Resevations. She's a chef - a chef in therapy - and she's just said to him that it's a shame there are no recipies for life.

It's a really good point. It's a really good metaphor. And it's one of the sweetest movies I've seen in a long time.

Seriously. Rent this movie. Or Netflix it. Or it's OnDemand right now. Whatever. Really, it's just so good. It's not complicated, it's not overly technical nor does it lose itself in the "accuracy" of its setting (you know how that happens sometimes - dance movies throw a lot of lingo at you make sure you see the dancers working so hard and cooking movies try to show the real grit of the restaurant life, etc). The leads have amazing ensemble chemistry. And CZJ does a wonderful job of letting you see her character bloom. It's a little predicatable, but it's got a genuineness about it.

And, it's got a smart therapist.

Anyway, my first day on Crisis was...um...a little overwhelming. I still just kinda don't...get it. Like, what I'm supposed to be doing there. As in, what my role is. My patients are...well, three of them are really complex. Well, okay, two of them are. One of them is just difficult (and not in the good way), and one of them I think is just a dumbass. Or he could be really dangerous. I'm not really sure what to do with him, honestly. Which is why there are people in charge of me, still.

What's also nice about that is that if this kid goes all Cho Seung Hui in six months, it won't be me everyone starts hounding. I don't think he will. I think he's just a dumbass. But, still.

Some days this job really makes my head hurt.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanx for the recommend. We'll definitely have to netflix that. It sounds interesting. How are the pox?

Anonymous said...

Kate-
You've been tagged. Ha ha

Barb Matijevich said...

How are you feeling? Were you dead-tired after today?

Anonymous said...

The movie is actually a remake of one from the 70s (I think) called Babette's Feast. The reason you've never heard of it (aside from it being an older movie) is that it's not in English. But still a good movie. I'm sure the remake is pretty good too.

Crisis is kinda like that. Think about it the same way you think of the acute units at State Hospital, then relax a little, 'cos they do actually get to wear their own clothes, use their own computer/iPod, and they're usually not as sick as the patients at SH. (Usually.)

Tiny Tyrant said...

OMGosh, I totally want to watch that.

Since Hubby is going out of town in two weeks, I can.

Woo Hoo!

I'm so glad you're feeling better.

Bookmark and Share